1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to sustain growth?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mad_Russian776, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business of lawn care and was wondering how small to midsize companies grow. This business is obviously cut throat in terms of many competitors/low ballers. I would imagine one could expect to lose a certain percentage of clientele over a said period of time.

With this in mind, how do you grow? advertising?.....Or is word of mouth sufficient? Do you guys approach each season with an advertising plan and if so, what does that entail?

Any ideas outside of advertising would be much appreciated. Hell, any ideas at all would be appreciated.:waving:
  2. TripleTsLawnCare

TripleTsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Any company is going to (in most cases) lose clientele over time. Maybe not seeing eye to eye with is client or even death. If you are doing great work then in my expericnce you will get far more new account then you will lose. As far as growth it depends. You don't want to grow too fast. If you have the means then take an ad out in you local paper for a few months. Pass out flyers door to door (not mail box to mail box, got busted last year). Anything to get your name out in the community. Sponsor a little league team. Something, anything.:weightlifter:
  3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

If you take care of your customers they'll take care of you. Word of mouth is the best advertisement you can have. This year is my third year and you can tell my routes each day get tighter and tighter, and this isn't because of ads put in the news paper or door hangers.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have been in the business over 25 years. To grow the business you can't be picky about customers and you have to have a reasonable price so they don't shop each year. Beyond that we put our thousands of door hangers each year sometimes hitting certain areas several times with different types of handouts. We don't have any of those rules about not droping our gate for a certain amount, if it is close to another customer we cut. We also accept bi-weekly. The other main key is you have to do all the other things like irrigation, bushes, mulch, dirt, etc. etc. You don't want another guy coming into your accounts. And last the real stability comes with getting commericial up to over half the income because commericial is like a cash cow when it comes to extra stuff. And lastly we don't spend a lot of energy on making absolutely sure a customer pays exactly on time, we know that our lawyer gets the money EVERY time with penalty so we can relax. No we don't turn very many over to the lawyer.