how to tackle these weeds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Jul 20, 2004.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas on how to deal with these weeds? They need to be removed and replaced with some ground cover. The area is about 900sq.ft.
    I tried pulling up the weeds, and they seem to come up really easy. Is there a better way than hand pulling? How would you price this job? Any guesses about the time it will take?
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Round-up and reseed
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would cut everything down first. Then Roundup, wait a week, roto-till everything and start from there.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Small weeds with new growth are easier to kill than mature weeds.
  5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

flame thrower?

if that ain't ya cup of tea, do what the guys above said, pretty boring though compared to bringing on the fire though eh? (j/k)?
  6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, flamethrow that little #$%#. If they pull out easy, pull em, spray the remains, wait, rototill. Pricing would be tough, I'd say aim high and tell the customer it is "Just an estimate"
  7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I'm different but I would pull them, then till the soil and prep for seeding or whatever, water the area, wait a week to see what came up and then round up and plant a few days later. If my ground cover I was using where shrubs and bushes I wouldnt even wait a few days, I would roundup let dry and then plant and mulch.
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

just what I would do.
  9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I take on jobs like that all the time, get a pair of hedge trimmers and cut everything down as low as possible, go in with a line trimmer and jus keep doing the combo. Spray whats left should jus be stubs n nubs with Roundup, and then topsoil and seed the area.

10. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

String trim it down to the nub fabric over it then 4 inches of mulch then plant ground cover. No pesticide this way. Also the weeds will not be able to grow back.