How to tell a customer off (serious question)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Nov 30, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I have a problem (two actually):

Customer(s) called me, I went out and gave the estimate in one case, said ok in the other (open estimate - pay based on how long it takes after I am done).

BOTH are ex customers (meaning I worked for them before, the relationship broke off best described as 'due to various reasons').

Sometimes, I just don't see it right away but by now I have seen the same old song and dance coming and am flat out not interested. In other words, a lot of skeletons coming out ...

So customer wants me to do some work but I can see the frustration... Could be it's just me, could be I am wrong, but I also know I been down this road too many times to know that more often than not, I am either right to begin with OR sooner or later it comes around.

So what do I do, what do I say?
    I don't want to EXPLAIN it, that just makes it worse... It won't conform, we just don't click, how else can I say it... Now do I call them or just ignore it? And if I call, what do I say?

By the way, I don't want them calling me next year, either... And I don't feel like slamming a door in someone's face so to speak, but this has got to be over, it's like an ex or something that won't go away...
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

When i'm in a situation where I want to turn down work or it is for a customer I do not want, I usually say, I'm booked up and suggest they maybe call someone else
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

give me thier number, i'll talk to them
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you politely say that you are booked with work right now. which is entirely true. you don't want anymore of their work. just refer them to someone else.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think you already said it!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know what. I've been on this road myself. I looked the man in the eye and said. I can not work for you. I did not give a reason. Some times it is best to burn that bridge. I believe this guy knew why but he ask me anyway. I told him, I do not have to give you a reason. I felt bad about it at the time because he made me feel bad. They always make it look like there is something wrong with you when there is really something wrong with them. So be it. I now feel like I escaped from something. Every time I go past his house I feel good. You will never get past that bad feeling untill you burn that bridge. I could be wrong but I don't think so. It is really hard to rebuild a burned bridge, but that's a good thing.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think it's a little late, you already did the estimates.

Or just say screw it...HOMEY DON'T PLAY DAT!!!!! :waving:
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Just tell them you not intrested because of what has happened in the past.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Grow up topsites and face them like a man and tell them you just cannot work for someone who can't trust you to do the job they hired you to do.They have to have to be confident that you can handle the work or you wont take the job.You won't have your customers second guessing you and that is that.
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you mean you dont bore them to death with your legnthy posts?

J/K bud :p