How to tell if I actually get a Yard of Mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by scottf624, Apr 17, 2012.

1. scottf624

scottf624 LawnSite Member

I am in OHIO and the large chain of MULCH stores, which I'm not going to name, seems as though their bucket is a lot smaller than some of the other guys we buy mulch from. Last year it wasn't a problem, we brought the bucket size up to the manager and he helped us out. I got the manager a new job working somewhere else making 2x the money this large chain was paying him and the new manager isn't a very friendly guy. He insists that his bucket is a yard. Do others of you run into this same issue?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Bucket capacity is often stamped on the back of them. If nothing else get a tape measure and figure it out.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have one place where the guy shakes the bucket till it even. Another place i ask for 3 yrds and gives 6 ,of course I'll never tell him its to much!

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

This is super easy next time your their jump out of your truck with a tape and measure the inside of the bucket, you will find his bucket he calles a yard to measure 3x3x3 feet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I had one place where I brought that up. He was using a 3/4 yard bucket and calling it a full yard. Once I said something, he just started heaping it. Then I gave him a tip and started getting an extra bucket full.

I now buy from a different mulch place where I pay for 5 and get about 8. Im not complaining about that though. :)

6. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Most suppliers I have found around Cincinnati use 2/3 to 3/4 yd buckets. There are a few who use yard buckets. Most have been good about stating what size bucket they use. I can only think of one chain supplier here. We don't use them for reasons of bad experience.

7. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Measure your truck bed to determine how much it holds leveled off. That should give you a good idea on how much you're getting when you visually look at how much they put in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I measured my trailer and put marks on the inside for a yard and 2 yards. That's all my trailer holds, so its a little easier to figure out. Going to one or two suppliers for everything also helps and knowing who heaps and who shakes the bucket.

9. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I agree when in doubt ! Pull the tape out!

:)

10. OmegaRed

OmegaRed LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Or call weights and measures...it's no difference than gas meters or a cord of firewood.