1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to tell if it I need a new transmission

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skurtz78, May 18, 2005.

1. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I have a scag 36" belt drive and it can no longer pull up the smallest hills once it is in 3rd gear. What do I look for first before I run out and have a new trans put in. I know when it won't pull up the sides where the drive belts are connected will stop spinning also.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you jump to any conclusions, make sure ALL the belts are tight.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Procut is dead on. You especially need to make sure the engine to tranny belt is tight.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto...that would generally be directly under the engine under the deck. It has a belt tensioner pully that has to be tightened by hand.
  5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problems years ago. Just a loose belt.
  6. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I have checked all the belts and they all seem tight. I even put the mower up against a wall placed it in third gear where I knew it would not try to move and looked under to see if anything was moving. I saw no moving parts. I figured if it was a loose belt that the pulley would still spin. I think im going to have to put it in for repair.
  7. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

no moving parts?

The pulley/belts from the engine to the tranny werent moving either?
  8. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

nope nothing moving
  9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Easy fix, go to your dealer and get a new set of key's for the Peerless. I know because I replaced mine last year. You need to be VERY careful when you are shifting into gear or on the fly. If the key's are not lined up correctly in the gears they will slowly sheer off. They go into a point and eventually will not engage the selected gear. Be forewarned, this is a messy job. You should pick up some good tranny grease (I personally like the Stens stuff) while you are at the dealer and your total OTD cost should be somewhere around $45 with the grease. Pull the mower over some good plastic, crack the tranny case and get dirty. I recommend a good set of latex gloves as well. It's a pain but much cheaper than a new one and very easy to do if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Loosen up the idler pulley, take a hammer & screw driver, tap it over, hold it tight & re-tighten bolt for tensioner. You could also have a worn trans pulley and or key. Is there any play in the large trans pulley? Is the belt stretched?? Try the simple stuff first.