1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to tell if you have grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Sep 20, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Dont all brown spots look the same. So how do you tell you have grubs? You should not have to dig every lawn and every spot or am i wrong? Where do you find grubs normally? Is it next to trees?
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:) well where to start, if you see a slew of birds tearin through a lawn chances are there are grubs. the infected areas will turn brown and almost look as if there is a fungus problem, but the turf when walked on will have a spongy feel to it, bend down and flip back and chances are there are grubs present. use mach 2 and never have a grub issue again, tony.
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Most grubworm activity ocurrs in sunny areas or else where night-time lighting ocurrs. Usually the front lawn and immediately behind the house where inside lights shine out at night.

Like most bugs that fly around at night, they're attracked to lighted areas (June bugs).

Backyard areas that are dark at night seldom have high grubworm infestations.

oops - the county's mosquito sprayer just went by. They're out now too.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

you could just thoroughly wet the suspected areas. If you can pull the sod up, they'll be right there.
  5. americanlawn

from midwest

Hi carcrz -- seems like K.C., Omaha, Des Moines gets hit hard by grubs. Grub damage showed up here 3 1/2 weeks ago. We have gone through 60 bags of Dylox so far, and each day we use more. Still finding medium-sized grubs and some small ones too. I figure we'll see annual white grubworm activity through early November. Thanks for your post. Take care, americanlawn:usflag:
  6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Another easy inspection is to look for damage by skunks. If you see lawn ripped up, you can be pretty sure skunks are after grubs. I happened to see 2 this morning on my way into work (6 am.). They were in different lawns working the area between the walk and the curb. I'm guessing the lawn care companys didn't treat those areas when they did the rest of the lawn.
  7. americanlawn

from midwest

Ditto -- I treated a lawn in West Des Moines Wednesday for grubs. The lady said a pregnant skunk was plowing up her front yard at night. Usually it's racoons here, but sometimes skunks & oppossums.

I wonder how the lady knew the skunk was pregnant???

I treated 7 lawns today for grubs, including a 34,000 square footer. Gone through 70 bags now...got 20 more bags tonight from LESCO (they deliver).:waving:
  8. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Use a spade to cut a 1' square of turf and flip it over. I don't consider a grub or two, to be a big deal. If you have a problem, you'll know.