1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to tell if your ready

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stihlballer, Aug 15, 2006.

1. stihlballer

stihlballer LawnSite Member

Hi, ive got question for all the lawn care pros out there. how can you tell if your ready to start your own bussines? I have about four months practical experince with a lawn service wedd pulling ,weed eating alot of blowing shoveling so i can do the work. Is three to four months enough experince or do i need more experinnce.:usflag:
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The things that you mentioned - the labor side of the business - is the easy part. For the most part, almost anyone can do that, even senior citizens do this on a regular basis.

The difficult end of the business is the business end of things. Do you know how to get customers? Do you know how to do billing? Do you know how to maintain equipment? Do you know how to do the taxes?

In short, do you have a business plan?

There are a lot of people who start up lawn businesses each year but they do not have what it takes to run a business. They know how to do the work but they fail due to poor planning/execution of a business plan.

My honest opinion, and you can take it for what you think it is worth, is that no, you are not ready to run your own business.
  3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Before I chime in with a quick NO! What other world experiences do you have? Do you have any customer service experience? Can you wait two yrs to start showing a real profit? Can the first two yrs of all your money go back into the business or is it spent before you get it? Can you purchase billing software and such from the get go, or are you an excel guru? What all can you bring to the table?
  4. stihlballer

ouch that stings. how would i get ready a bussines owner doesnt want to take time to show a young man how to run a bussiness
  5. stihlballer

im a people friendly person if thats what your asking as for work experince ive done road work for a year after high school {Guardrail vegatation extraction } alot of diffrent stuff with that company and excel im postive i could do that.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

go to the library and get a book on starting a business plan and go from there, and read the other advise, what you need to learn was explained to you... so get books and practical knowledge and do it....:)
  7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

First, change your attitude. The above statement is simply not true. If you start off by saying what can't be done then you will never succeed doing this. The greatest businessmen have often done what other people said was impossible. The difference is that they were thinking of ways to do it and others were thinking of reasons that it couldn't be done. So far, you are in the second group.

Actually, you hit the nail right on the head there, you just don't know it. The best way to learn how do do business is by getting personally mentored by someone who is successful in business. Figure out a way to solve that problem and you will have a good start.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Really, when you are ready, you'll KNOW you are ready. Work experience aside, like mentioned before the business end of it is what will ultimately make or break you.

Not to discourage anyone from their dreams but I think you'd do well to gain some more experience, as well as learning as much as you can regarding the business side of it.
  9. stihlballer

I Think your right maybe about 6 more months to see how winter goes and to really grasp the bussines aspect of it if not from the bos than from a burnt out foreman.
  10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

What they all said was true but they also forgot one thing. If you have to ask if your ready your not no matter what the challenge is.