How to tell when someone's yanking your chain about a bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Jul 10, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I get real tired of the run-a round. I approached this church a few months ago and asked about bidding on the lawn maintenance. He said they were looking and that they had a 20 yr. old doing it last year but he went out of business and didn't bother letting them know. He wanted to get a quote. I went over a couple of times and finally gave him a price-this was the pastor. Naturally, he said he would present it to the board. I emailed and called and there always seemed to be someone off to another country and "He'd let me know." Finally, he came back and said that they couldn't spend that kind of money and I asked what they were paying the 20 yr. old and he said $150/month. I've been going by this church for several yrs. and it looks like that was all they were paying. You have to know that this is a large property and I was estimating spending the better part of a day with each mowing. I had priced it at $950/month for the whole 9 yards including bushhogging a field and retention pond which this 20 yr. old wasn't capable of doing. I stated that I could reduce my price by taking things away and trying to meet their budget while at the same time keeping my hourly rate at the $60/hr. mark. I gave them a much cheaper price and they still didn't bite into it. I guess my question has always been, "How do you know when someone is yanking your chain and wasting your time?" This has always been my weakness because I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I need to separate the BSers from the people who may actually use my services!!!

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

my experience is if they dont bite the first time they get the price, than they more than likely wont bite at all. Since they got used to paying $150 last year. That is all they will pay this year. Even if they have the money they wont spend it cause that is now what they feel it is worth. In my area there are certain neighborhoods to stay away from cause they have been LBed so long. Lawns that should bring 60-100 a cut will only pay 40 or cut it themselves.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I avoid this by letting people come to ME. I don't pursue bids. The kind of people likely to respond to that sales approach are the ones who are looking for CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.