How to train a kid to use a Hustler walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Jul 17, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I get my help from this years graduating High Schoolers looking for temporary work. The quickest way to train them to use a Hustler walkbehind, for me, has been to let them first use the machine in a wide open area. They, like me, though the controls too responsive, and, at first over corrected. After using the machine, on their own, [with a through indoctrination of the H-bar system] I then get them to place their hands on the controls in the normal operating position, while I operate the machine using the very end of the hand grip. At first we start out walking, making turns, backing up. Then I speed things up a bit, running along side, [like when I learned to ride a bike] making tight turns, forward and reverse motion, etc. and then just letting them go. If the person has good common sense, he can roll with it in under 5 minutes. They think using the machine is "da bomb" after that. Problem is they don't want to go back to weed eating!
    The H-bar system, and the responsiveness of the Hustler walkbehind, have added the phrase "fun to use" to my operation.
    You can see it in their expressions when they use the machine. For me, it increases my productivity, for them, its more like having fun than hard work.
    I can agree with that.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

How old of high school kids are you using in your operation? If they are under 18 you may want to re-think letting them use the mower and keep them running a trimmer and blower until they have been with you for a while.

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

18 yrs. old and lots of common sense

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if they can mow as fast as me , do it right, be productive and have fun--then I'd let them mow and I'd trim. it sounds like a win-win to me!

GEO

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Happy to see you've found what I have, that the H bar is actually fun. Your whole article is also why I made the Cruise control for the H bar. Its takes out all the guesswork, and eliminates "grabbing a bit too much" speed. Since I've been so busy mowing I haven't be able to make a retail version yet. I hope to have one by the end of the season. It may not be the best system out there, but its way ahead of second place :p

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

How easy is this H Bar system? The mowers I have are Cub Cadet 'direct effect' mowers. Which means I just push forward on the control bar to go forward, pull back to go in reverse. I have a left and right brake to turn, and that's it. No pistol grips, very simple. The further forward you push the faster you go. Problem is, Cub Cadet stopped making them and went back to pistol grips. I was wondering how similar the H Bar is to my Cubs.

:D