How to train, FAST?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AzLawnMan, Jan 26, 2011.

1. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

I just landed a deal with a pool company to pave 14 pools. Problem is we have 60 days to complete all the jobs from start to finish. All but 1 pool average 900 sqft with apprx 130 feet of coping. Question is, I have plenty of guys that know how to properly lay pavers, but I only have 2 guys that know how to cut. Whats the best way to train someone to cut? Any ideas would be great.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is stuff that is usually considered before submitting prices (or "bids").

I think we all can find all the *UNSKILLED* labor we want, anytime.

Ummm....I dunno dude, maybe make them take a paver saw and some scrap pavers home and make them practice measuring, marking, and cutting for 4 hrs each night????

Best of luck. We'll check back in with you in 60 days (march 27?) and see how you made out.

3. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

You might be able to get some experienced guys from another company since it is the offseason. Either that or work your two guys into overtime and weekends.

How long will it take you to one deck on average? 60 days is a long time
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I would bid high with time frame requirements. That would be stressful.

5. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by Cut?

Cut pavers or Cut the soil? (this may be obvious to yall in other parts of the country)

in either case, I must ask, why do only 2 guys know how to cut? all my guys are able to screed, lay, cut, compact, you name it. i will jump on a wheel barrow just as fast as i will ask my guys to, and that goes a LONG way with crew morale

this way if a guys is sick or something it doesn't hold the crew back, the show must go on.

6. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

That's exciting news az lawnman. :clapping:Obviously there is a pretty penny to be had if all goes well. Have you considered a half day of training, either as a whole group, or foremen and assistant foreman, or designated cutters, any how, spending some time training before you need the skills these guys don't have will save time, frustration, material all translating to money in the end. If the work gets done correctly the first time, everyone' happy, if you or the skilled cutter have to go back and fix 5 out of 14 then trainig now would have eliminated that.

7. juststartin

It only takes half a day of training?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

You're right, if it's takes any longer than 15 minutes to teach someone how to cut a paver they need to find a less taxing vocation.

9. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a little different, but you might want to look at a few out of work tile guys. They should know how to cut on a wetsaw. Get a hold of REXMAN on here as he is a ICPI instructor and lives in AZ. Hopefully he could send you in the right direction. Last you can fly me out for a couple months and I'll cut your paver's all day long for a FEE!:)

10. juststartin

Well I am not sure someone could free form cut with a cutoff saw perfectly with 15 minutes of training.