how to transport 2 classen areators on a 4 by 8 trailer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Nov 5, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

<B>THIS IS NOT A BUMB QUESTION<B/>
    WHEN I TRANSPORT MY AREATORS FRONT TO BACK THEY ARE TIED DOWN AND WILL NOT MOVE,BUT THE SPONES ON THE FRONT MECHINE DIG INTO THE PLASTIC DRUM ON THE BACK MECHINE.

IF I TURN THEM AROUND 90DEG. THEY WILL COME LOOSE FROM THE STRAPS AND BANG ONE ANOTHER.

THE TRAILER IS NOT WIDE ENOUGH TO TRANSPORT SIDE BY SIDE.
    ANTHONY

[Edited by anthony on 11-05-2000 at 07:54 PM]

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

O.k., Anthony, here's the gig. What you need to do, is make yourself a couple of wood blocks to put under the spoons and prop the machines up so the handles are stick up straighter. (more vertical) This should allow you to put them in sideways on the trailer. The only other thing you can do is make an "L" block with 2 pieces of wood, and stand this up between the spoons and the drum. Good luck with it, and happy aerating. :)

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

put something like a piece of plywood in between infront of the spones that are digging into the other machine so that the spones hit the plywood or whatever you put there and not the other machine.

4. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

HELLO ANTHONY,
    Have your problem solved. My two aerators ride the same wat here it is. Simply get a dump trunk mud flap and put two old bungy cord hooks on the corners and hang it on the handles alowing it to hang down the back and the drum will not dig into the tines. Try it, it works well.

5. ant

i like it ,thanks all
    anthony

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I rented a classen aerator over the weekend.

still sore.

GEO

7. ant

geo: take the weight bar out
    lot easyer

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Geo, which one? The split drive?

Anthony, I thought it was nore difficult with the weight bar out, put too much weight toword the back of the unit.

9. ant

you are right for the split drive, but for the solid reel the weight bar will drag you down.
    anthony

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hey gang--this was not a split tine model.

no weight bar either. used a drum in front which you could add water for weight, which I did about half the time.

they had the wide and narrow models, I took narrow.

my big mistake using this thing is I was about done using it solid for two days before I figured the best way to run it. the way to do it was to lower the handles, therefore depressing the clutch/throtle handle by the weight of your palms instead of trying to keep a grip on the handle. by lowering the handles, you raise the front drum off the ground adding the weight of the machine to the spikes. the machine pulls itself by both the spikes and the drum.

the machine did a good job. the 4hp honda performed as expected (everytime I remembered to turn the switch on).

I'm hoping for big results on these properties. never been aerated before. I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

GEO