1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to trim this hedge row??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by anothertractor, Jun 8, 2005.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Anothertractor, leave them trees alone!
    Just widen that driveway :)

Joe... :waving:
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I'd take my hedge trimmers and take them as far back as they can go with out taking it to bare bones and taper the top as high as I could reach with the pole trimmers. 1.5' should be no problem and it will result in the "tunnel effect" that he desires.
  3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

sheshovel, who told you it was 'ok' to top trees? yes you can prune a leyland cyprees but dont cut the top out of em. it kills the tree. topping trees opens the trunck up to water and it causes rot. thus hollowing out the core.
  4. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

How do you spell the shrub pronounced "Illy Agnes?" Anyway, it's a shrub that I love that will grow very full and thick. It is a light greenish-gray color, and it is very popular for privacy walls.
  5. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

here are a few sugestions

ilex crenata 'convexa'
    potentilla fruticosa
    berberis julianae
    euonymus kiautschovius
    ilex crenata rotundifolia
    jasminum floridum
    prunus laurocerasus ' schipkaensis' **** very nice would be my pick
    berberis x mentorensis
    berberis thunbergii ***** very nice as well
    chaenomeles spciosa
  6. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

How about burning bushes. They get up to 15ft tall and are pretty full
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I know from personal expieriance with Lelandii Cypress ,I cut the tops off of a row of 18-7 year old trees because of snow load and 2 years later they were just fine and growing like weeds.In fact had to keep cutting them.I would never do it with any other tree.I dident want to it then but my cust insisted and i couldent say no or loose $100.00 a week job.I don't think his cust wants topping but you can do it with these tree's .Nobody told me I know cuz I have done it.
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The damage you do by the topping is not reverseable.
    The topping has caused the tree to sucker out and give you that full effect
    but by no means is it good for the tree,the tree will rot from the inside and
    the topping will be the cause of it's ultimate dimise.Topping the tree puts the
    tree under stress and exposes it to danger from insects,sun and,disease.

The Leyland are planted in the wrong place and will continue to be a problem.
    When one of these trees dies there will be a big hole in the tunnel effect.

The best option was mentioned when JOEWOOD said widen the driveway

It is wrong to do the job just because thats what the customer wants
    If you know it is wrong and just do it for the money, then your ethics
    are not the best.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what your going to do with them. Just looking at the picture I think it will take at least 1 hour each. 30 minutes alone for cleanup for each. Those are some tall trees.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Coffiecraver ,is it wrong to say no to 1 job a customer wants you to do but say yes to all the rest?
    You cant very well take on a garden maintenance and do everything else in all of the gardens on the property.And then turn around and tell a good paying client no I won't do that one thiong for you.Her and I did go round and round about it and I stalled as long as I could,to the point where I had to go over in 2' of snow,climb up on a bank and take the weight off of them because they were uprooting from the snow load,then pulley them back into place.But they did recover and they are still alive and thriveing.So regardless of what the book says,They did not rot,got no bugs,and it can be done though it should not be practiced and that's the truth.Also at the time I was not going to refuse the $500.00 cash she gave me to do it that day.Sorry my ethics are better now but not then.And this woman was not the type to take no for an answer.