how to turn without making tire marks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advanced irrigation, Aug 24, 2007.

1. advanced irrigation

advanced irrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from tx

i have an exmark navigator and its hard to turn without making tire marks (tearing the turf) what is the best method to do this? :confused:
  2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

k turn..............
  3. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

The "K" turn! Learn It...Live It...Love it!!! My mowers should be called KTR not ZTR!
  4. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

k turn:confused: dont yuo mean a Y-turn???
  5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Yah, is it k or y or maybe KY would work?
  6. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

thats hilarious bud. just couldnt use it on anything steep.:hammerhead:
  7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Practice & practice a little more. :usflag:
  8. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

in zero turning, you slow down while turning a little. and then once youve slowed pull back on the inside lever. you still break sensitive turff 3 point k turn
  9. mitw44

mitw44 LawnSite Member

I mow with a 32 inch walk behind, but when the turf is soft due to rain, I always try to keep the inside wheel turning a little bit when turning. I can't turn as tight, but it keeps me from tearing up the lawn.:walking:
  10. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Two tips:

1) Mow a couple of swath's around the perimeter of the property first to give yourself a "turning zone" where you can make wider turns while you're mowing back and forth. Avoid doing zero turns whenever possible.

2) Always have both wheels in motion. It's often when one wheel stops and you pivot on that wheel that the ground gets torn up. If you don't have a "turning zone" mentioned above and you need to make a really tight turn...slow down, and run one wheel forward and the other backwards just to keep both wheels in motion. The key here is slow.