how to un load leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Edgewater, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, here is the situation.

I plan to move the mowers on my 6x12 trailer and load the leaves into my 7x16 with 4 foot mesh sides.

The plan is to mulch with the old tractor and then bag with the Z. By that point the leaves will be very dense.

I will dump the bags from the Z on tarps (layered) in the trailer.

What is the best way to unload all of these VERY heavy tarps?

use MANY?
    some kind of ropes to attach to a fixed object?

I have to leaf collection down, but need to work on the dumping until I can get a 6 wheeler.

Any advice would be great,

Adam

2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

EZ Dumper

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I do something similar for my leaf removal. I have a "load handler" that was on my old truck. You may have heard of them or seen them adertised. It's a nylon tarp on a spool with a hand crank at one end. I fasten it to the end of the trailer after taking the gate off and just crank the leaves out when I'm dumping. To give you an idea of how much it moves, 4 yards of mulch is no problem to crank out.

B

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have all the fancy equipment but have a system that works good for me. I grab a pitch fork and stab the leaves straight down then pull it off the trailer. Usually takes me about 3-4 times doing this and they are all off.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

^battags, I did see pictures of the "Load Handler" once before and it seems to be an amazing little product for those of us who don't have dump beds. I even looked up the price ($190) for my truck, but can't remember what website it was being sold at. Where did you find yours?

6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest, I don't remember. I picked one up for my previous employer and he realized that he didn't want it, for whatever reason. So, I bought it off of him. I want to say that it was a local hardware store or a Wal-Mart or something.

B

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have the same size trailer that you mentioned that I use to haul leaves. mine has sides made of expanded metal, and it has a side gate, as well as a rear gate. We open all the gates, then use two backpack blowers to blow out the leaves. We can unload a full trailer in about 15 min.:D

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have the same size trailer that you mentioned that I use to haul leaves. mine has sides made of expanded metal, and it has a side gate, as well as a rear gate. We open all the gates, then use two backpack blowers to blow out the leaves. We can unload a full trailer in about 15 min.:D

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

With the layered tarps it is always a good idea to leave a big lip at the head of the trailer and when you hit the dump you can use the lip to pull back. It is also handy for flapping it back over the top of the debris when you are driving down the road.
    I don't trailer leafs anymore. We mulch em and let em lay. Most people don't want to pay the big bucks for removal when the city comes curbside to pick up.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Mow ED, you mean you mulch then collect with the Walker and leave them at the curb right? Surely you wouldn't just leave that walker sitting there with nothing to do while you grind away with the Toro like ol' Stone hehe....