How to use string trimmer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jim d., Jul 29, 2005.

1. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

When I'm trimming a fence or a flower bed with concrete edging, I've been trying to come close enough with my string to just barely nip the hard surface so as to conserve string and wood. But this is very slow. I'm forever having to sneak up on stray pieces of grass that remain uncut and then just when I get the distance and angle right, the trimmer feeds more line and digs down into the grass more than I'd like it to. (Yes, it's an electric auto-feed trimmer.)

When you guys trim, do you just get up close and buzzsaw along and cut in one fell swoop, or do you do it like I'm doing and I just need more practice?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. KIDWITHADREAM

KIDWITHADREAM LawnSite Member

go out and by a decent gas trim, and a 5 pound spool of line. No worries after that.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

as your business expands, a electric trimmer will not do some of the work you need to do with it. Also, some houses may not have a plug for you to use if they are away or busy. I personally favor stihl. Hope this helps.

4. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

Just purchased my new Stihl 100 RX about an hour ago and am in love with it. Runs like a champ and i expect it to run the same for a few years. Definately go get yourself a gas powered straight shaft trimmer this will allow you better control and a lot more power which will help your lawn look better making you and your company look more professional. i might just have to sleep with my trimmer tonight i've been drooling over it for the last hour... :p

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am glad someone on this site likes the stihls. Royal, you got one heck of a trimmer and mine isn't bad at all either, but so many people complain that stihl is lousy and junks out a lot. I think they are great. I have no reason to switch brands, I love it!

6. Poppy

Poppy LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Echo String Trimmer yesterday. The 230 model was $269 at Home Depot. I had been looking at it for a while and then they sent me a 10% off anything coupon and reeled me in. I brought it home last night sat and read everything about it and almost slept with it to, so I know how some of you feel. I fired it up today and the strangest thing happened which was the trimmer spun counter-clockwise. I have used many in the past which were all electric up until the $100 gas Craftsman that I am retiring to a backup and they all ran clockwise. Is it common for the higher end trimmers to spin counter-clockwise or is this just an Echo thing? I also recently purchased an Echo Backpack blower and I love it. Starts real easy and idles like a kitten purring. My Dad just bought me a Stihl Pole edger in N.C. and brought to me for my birthday (48th) and the stupid thing would not run right. Have to put it on choke and pull about 20 times to get started and then will cut off if you turn off the choke no matter how warm it gets. We were told that you can not return a Stihl under any circumstances that it has to be repaired under warranty. Brand new and straight into the shop. Oh Well, Life is Stihl good!

7. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Bought The Echo At Home Depot Huh ?........send In That Warranty Card........the Shaft Cable And The Clutches Wear Out Super Fast On Those Throw Away Pos Echos . Buy A Pro Model Echo From A Dealer Instead, Youll Be Much Happier.

8. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl has a quarky starting procedure, mine does anyway.

First be sure there is some gas in the bubble, then put the choke ON and pull once or twice and it should make an faint attempt to start. Then put the lever in the down position and it sholud start right up. Let it run there for a few seconds or 10 .. then put the lever in the upper middle position.

Works for mine.

9. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

Poppy,
    I have a Poulan Professional Straight Shaft trimmer that i just bought about a month ago, and it turns counter clockwise also. I thought they put it together backwards, when i first got it, until i read the manual and it pointed out that it was supposed to run that way. I guess all of them do that with certain trimmer models, I think it is only that way on proffesional grade line trimmers though. :dizzy: payup

10. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

Poppy,
    I have a Poulan Professional Straight Shaft trimmer that i just bought about a month ago, and it turns counter clockwise also. I thought they put it together backwards, when i first got it, until i read the manual and it pointed out that it was supposed to run that way. I guess all of them do that with certain trimmer models, I think it is only that way on proffesional grade line trimmers though. But yeah man buy a nice gas trimmer and practice with it...it will save you a$$ loads of time after you get used to it :dizzy: payup