How to use this type of Load Binder

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SouthernYankee, Feb 9, 2007.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

2. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

very simple principal. there is a cog in the middle that jams on the teeth. the cog can be flipped to go the other direction. ie. loosen/tighten. the hooked pieces on the end have screws that tighten to shorten the length of the whole thing which pulls the slack and makes your chains tight. not sure if that made any sense at all. kind of hard to descibe without holding one to show.
    good luck

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

They work petty well but not as fast as a lever binder unless you can't find the sweet spot on the chain and they a ratchet binder is faster and a ratchet binder can't take out your teeth:laugh: :laugh: . To use a ratchet binder you unscrew the binder to get more bit and hook on the chain like a lever binder and hold the barrel of the binder and start ratcheting the binder until tight.

minimax

4. SouthernYankee

But do they come loose like the lever binder? I have had some problems with my lever binders coming loose even when I wrap the chain around it, I am going up hills and hit some serious bumps.

I think the ratchet style might be a little better in terms of not coming loose.

5. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

its the only binder type ive used...they've been great, never loosen.... but i spent more than the $29, maybe its a different brand, they look the same

6. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Harbor freight sell 5/16-3/8 ratchet binders for $17.00 each and they are warrantied for life. They have 3/8-1/2 one too.

minimax

7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing with rachet binders is keep them out of the dirt and mud they don't like it keep them lubed up so the operate properly. I never use rachet binders only the chin smasher face rearranger lever binders.

Make sure you binders are rated for the chain you are using its best to be a little overkill than being too light.

Here have a look at this page

www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?dest=dir&linkid=400&linkon=subsection

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We use ratchet binders for our small equipment, but always used 5/8 lever style binders when transporting the 312. The lever style shouldn't come lose, key is to keep a 24" cheater pipe on the trailer and get them down damn tight, wrap the chain and go. For our smaller equipment, doesn't take too long to use the ratchets as we only need 2 chains on the skid steer and mini ex. The ratchets do tend to loosen a little if you're going a good distance.

10. SouthernYankee

Scag,

I use a huge lead pipe to put the lever style on and I do wrap the chain, but I did notice that there are little holes on the lever, I was thinking about still wrapping the lever with the chain and using something to tie it through the lever.