How to water my grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by steppinthrax, May 23, 2012.

1. steppinthrax

steppinthrax LawnSite Member

I have around an acre. It's a triangular yard (in the front). I recently arreated, and seeded (blue bird seeder). Now I'm having a problem watering. I ran a garden hose (long one from my house to the end of the land). But I don't have enough water pressure to get the impact head sprinklers to cover. I've increased my pressure to 70psi (I have a well), but it's not enough. What temporary water solution can I use. I'm not using straw or hay?

2. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I'd run the sprinkler on the areas you can cover effectively and let mother nature takes care of the rest.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Get a different sprinkler head, such as one that twirls, and add a 1/2"hose on the end of your 3/4" hose and see if that helps...

4. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I would do the complete opposite, I would go up to a 1" hose, that will allow the water to flow a greater distance with less pressure/flow drop. Also Che k the pressure at the spicket. It is not uncommon for a valve to be broken or have degree which cuts the flow rate greatly.

5. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Are the impact sprinklers metal heads or plastic heads? I bought some gilmour metal impact sprinklers last year and they wouldn't perform correctly(they wouldn't move) so I took them back to lowes and bought the rain bird p5r plastic impact sprinklers. They are with the underground irrigation section. They come with 5 different nozzles and work really well for me.

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

With a long hose, the more restrictions you have, the more pressure loss you will have at the end.
    Do you have a splitter at the hose bib, with valves that reduce the diameter of the waterway?
    Do you have a gate valve leading up to the bib (and not a ball valve)?
    Can you use a larger diameter hose?
    Do you have automatic closing quick connects on the hose (these restrict flow a lot)?

7. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same issue with the metal ones...traded them all for plastic & they work great.