How to water small triangle?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have to water a small triangle. 5' by 9' . Given the fact that heads won't water around themselves and two heads would flood this area, what would be the best alternative? Maybe a 10' or 12' VAN?

Thanks,

John :waving:

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on you, you can irrigate that so many different ways. 1 spray, 2 sprays, 3 sprays, etc. etc.

3. jcom

Triangle is surrounded by concrete and no water is wanted on same.

As I stated, two heads will flood this area unless you put them on their own zone.

C'mon guys, I'm counting on you! :waving:

John :sleeping:

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Got a drawing of this mystery plot?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care too much for the VAN nozzles. Get clogged easier, tend to put out more water than a fixed spray, pattern seems bad compared to fixed. In my specs book it shows a 10Q fixed nozzle at 30 psi at the head as putting out 0.39 gallons. 10 VAN at a 90 degree is shows 0.75. Hunter's chart shows their adjustable nozzle at 0.49 for the same specs. (Sorry they dont show less than 90 degrees for your triangle). So Hunter would put out less water to help alleviate the flooding you are thinking about. Another option is Rainbird makes pressure compensating screens that are also sorted by gallonage so you could possibly regulate the GPM that way. Ask your local supplier about the screens.

or http://rainbird.com/landscape/products/sprays/1800pcs.htm

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I just reread the thread and saw the no water is wanted on same desire of the customer. Zero overthrow is achieved by subsurface drip irrigation. How much money are you getting for this aggravation? I get a lot of 'unwaterable' bits of lawn, if you don't allow overthrow. Once the homeowner understands the money involved, overthrow doesn't bother them so much.

7. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I assumed that he would use subsurface as opposed to any spray do to wind if he wanted a precise watering. And you would be better off watering a triangle with three heads using 7' nozzles. They are even making smaller nozzles then those now. As for over watering, only you know every detail so go on saying you expect more from us with such vague details. If you are already leaning towards cutting corners by using one van nozzles then why waste your time creating a thread.

8. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

One spray head in the corner, then tap into line and put a micro head to cover at the head.

9. jcom

I am not looking to cut corners, but looking for the best way to accomplish this. I will try the micro spray and talk with the homeowner about possible overspray and gauge his reaction.

Thanks for the assist. Didn't mean to offend anyone. :rolleyes:

John :waving:

10. jcom

The triangle is 9' on the long sides and 5' across the width. I don't know how to draw on this site so can't make the triangle.

John