How to watermark pictures

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 8, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Someone had asked in another thread here in the hardscaping forum on how to watermark pictures. I didn't want to take away from the original thread and go off topic, so I figured I would start a separate thread.

We have a great bunch of hardscaping guys here, and due to a former member stealing work of our members and claiming it as their own, I suggested maybe watermarking your pictures.
    If you have PHOTOSHOP, watermarking your photos is a simple 2 minute task.
    If you don't have photoshop, and you are concerned about your photos being lifted, you can opt to purchase some inexpensive software that is designed specifically for watermarking images.

Here are the instructions to watermark if you are using photoshop.

This is a link with other watermark software suggestions.

Thanks for the all nice contributions you hardscaping guys make to Lawnsite. This concludes this public service announcement, and now back to our regularly scheduled hardscaping thread. ;)
  2. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Jodi
  3. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Thank you...
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

are you serious!? thats just lame. bet the customer figured it out real quick after this guy got done "well gee, how come this wall doesn't look like the one in the picture?"
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it was the customer that figured it out. But I'm betting there will be a few that do.

It was one of our fellow members that brought to the forefront.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, that's correct. One of the guys had a keen eye and noticed it on the guys website.
  7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Jodi- just out of curiosity (did I spell that right??), do you happen to know what kind of legal problems someone could get into for snagging pictures of someone else's work and claiming it as their own?

Would LS be considered partially liable?
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I can't see LS being liable, I mean its possible that he pirated the pics from our websites.

Yes, Jodi, someone did have a very keen eye, because the pics weren't terribly obvious unless you navigated through his website in a specific fashion.

Nonetheless, he shouldn't have had pictures anywhere near his website that could be misrepresented as his work.
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Another angle is:

most servers offer a statsics page where you, the owner of a website can see what activity is happening with your site.

I'm no website guru, so DON'T AX ME ANY QUESTIONS! seriously, I don't know the answers.

My server has a private page that I log into every morning, as it updates once every 24 hrs.

It tells me everything. Who's looked at my site, how long they were there, how many pages they accessed, pictures they clicked on, which search engine bots crawled my site and when, if they used Explorer, Fire Fox, etc.
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the post Jodi. Bottom line is whats right is right, and whats wrong is wrong... Period. I don't give a sh!t who you are. I forget what it's called legally exactly, but it has something to do with advertising. I noticed it one day when browsing over my GL policy that I had coverage for it and didn't even know. I will have to look at it again and post. :nono: