How To Weedeat Like A Pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by arninglawns, Sep 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Good article.

Learn the direction that your trimmer throws debris. Then make sure to always aim it away from people, houses, and cars.
    Especially glass windows.

2. skeller257

skeller257 LawnSite Member

Good article, going to put it to use this morning with the crew...Thanks

3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Note to Groomer:
    proofread your spelling. Trimming with a weadeater.

4. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

You made some good points in your article Bill, especially running the line a little longer, and striving to make the trimming match the mowing.

Here are a few other tips,

After feeding out some line I often spin the line against a hard surface or object to cut the line to the optimum length
    (where the engine runs smoothly) and also to make the ends sharp instead of frayed.

Consider using a smaller diameter line, it allows you to run a longer length at the same engine rpm. Even though I run a powerful trimmer
    (Stihl FS130) I often use .065 or .080 with excellent results, and this allows a 21" cutting swath.

I use lightweight soccer-style shin guards above my 8" boots, this provides excellent shin protection to just below the knee.

Keep some extra line or a pre-wound spool in your pocket, so you don't have to go back to the truck when you run out of line.

You can use the air flow from the trimmer head to clear off small concrete pads or patios so you don't have to tote the blower around to the back of the house.

5. redbird103

redbird103 LawnSite Member

Why do so many people give a crap about calling it weedeating? Thats what most people I know call it, but really, who cares? If you want to call me an amateur for saying a certain term, then you need to get a life! Wow!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  6. fatz

fatz LawnSite Member

Agree! :drinkup: