How to winterize a permagreen and other spray stuff?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnForceOne, Oct 29, 2013.

1. LawnForceOne

LawnForceOne LawnSite Member

This is my first year doing treatments and i cant find any info anywhere about how to winterize a permagreen spray system? Also what do you do with your backpack sprayers? Can herbicides be left in cold temps? Thanks for the help
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

In my Zspray and backpacks we clean out the tanks, neutralize everything and run RV antifreeze through them, works great and have never had an issue.

3. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

I use RV antifreeze also for z spray and back packs. Don't ever store herbicides in below freezing temps. They can lose some of their potency and the active ingredient could separate from the solvents, they could congeal, etc.etc

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I simply rinse and empty my backpacks, then pump them up and spray until nothing but air comes out of the tip. They've always been fine(at least down to 15 degrees or so). All motorized tank sprayers(this includes skids and ride on equipment) is cleaned, then I use at least a 50/50 solution of water and RV antifreeze which is circulated throughout the pump system and sprayed out all tips. RV antifreeze is rated down to -50 degrees F. I'm south of you but we still get periods of well below freezing temps.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I used to drain, triple rinse, and spray out as much as I could. Then I used to use windshield washer fluid anti-freeze. Its not because I am cheap. But it really costs a LOT less. Run it through the hoses, and pump and dump the solution back into the tank for a few minutes. Save the bottles--in the spring spray it back into the bottles--don't use it on your windshield--mark it fully. Use it again next year.

At spring start up after clean out, assume that a small amount remains in the tank, pump, filter and hoses. At the first site, spray the solution back into the tank or dump the solution back into the tank for 3 minutes to be sure the system is cleaned out or at least diluted into a large volume of water.