How to winterize equipment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fortdan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. fortdan

fortdan LawnSite Member

Do I need to winterize my equipment? If so then how? I have, 2 trimmers, a backpack blower, 2 hand held blowers, a hedge trimmer, an edger, a 36in mower, an aerator and a power raker. thanks

2. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

On all of my mowers I grease all fittings,loosen the blade bolts and top off the fuel tanks.On my 2 stroke engines I drain the fuel tanks,start them up and run until they are out of fuel.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your equipment will be unused for a few months and temps will be low then yes I would. The hand held equipment is pretty easy first drain all the fuel from the tanks and prime out the lines then start the unit with the choke on and run until it dies then repeat till you cannot get them to run any more leave the gas cap off for 30 mins and let the tank air dry then reinstall the cap and your done store in a safe dry location. Your mower and aerator with 4cycle engines need more work make sure the units are clean no excess grass and debris build up under your deck and anywhere else on the unit, so mice will not find it attractive for bedding. Then there are two opinions on the next steps some people do an oil change now so ready for next season and some do it next season your choice, also some people will drain the fuel completely from the tanks and lines and carbs in a similar fashion to the hand held equipment and others will fill the tanks completely and add fuel stabilizer also this is your choice both methods are good. Then remove the spark plug from both units and pull the motors up to TDC and add 2cc's or a teaspoon of oil to both cylinders to keep your rings from rusting and reinstall the plug.

As far and storing the larger equipment if it will be sitting on a concrete slab floor first spread out some kitty litter and then cover that with plastic, then park the equipment over that, this will help control condensation under the unit and the floor.

Hope this all helps:)

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally dont like draining the fuel as to shrinkage of diaphrams and such. if you putting them up for 3 or 4 monthes this is a good time to power wash and inspect,oil and grease. if there is any problems you have 3 months to order and install your parts. then you need to drain your power washer pump or run some RV antifreeze into it. same thing with your water cooled equipment except check the level of protection of the anti-freeze.

5. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

and---i dont take the gas out of the tanks--but do put sta-bil in the gas--and run it for a while---till the sta-bil gets in the carb---never have had a problem--but if were going to leave em set long term--id do as the others said---

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont drain my 2 cycles, I just make sure the last few gallons of fuel has stabil aid of some sorts in it. I use stihl oil which has a stabil aid and I also use Seafoam in my mowers.

Not to open a can of worms, when fuel evaporates alot of times you end up with a white powder that can stop up a carb. Is that why yall prefer to run the engine untill all the gas is gone? so it doesnt evaporate and leave the residue? I would be worried about the seals and gaskets drying out

Anyway........I cant say either is right or wrong....obvisouly it works or you wouldnt be doing it.

wayne

7. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

a bit off the subject,but my neighbour bought a brand new Yardworks 25hp lawnmower 2yrs ago,he always gets me to cut his 2acre yard 5-6 times a year.I keep preaching like a scoulding preacher "you got to change this oil"..i mean there's a slight puff of blur now when you first start it up..he thinks because its so new still i'm blowing air out of my mouth,telling him at least two times a year..how can i convince this stubborn ol fart?

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

he'll be convinced when it blows a cloud that you can't see thru or he'll listen after it blows up.

The only way to convince him is to change it yourself and show him the mud you drained. a new small engine should have its first oil change at 5 hours, that would be about 2 mowings of the area you are talking with that mower.

9. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

The only way to convince him is to change it yourself
    ==
    he wants to be stubborn,thinking i'm gonna just wreck'n'wrench up his "new" machine"..oh well..i just cannot fathom some meats,he spent over 4000$ on this pile of junk..