How to wire dump trailer to charge batt.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by NEUSWEDE, May 1, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have a Bri Mar 6x10 GVWR 9900 and an 04 F350 how do I wire up the trailer so when it is hooked up the battery in the dump trailer gets charged? I don't want a dead battery! Any help much appreciated.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

tap into the charging wire from the alternator and run it through an isolator and hook it to the other one???

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We have a Walton dump trailer and it came setup from the factory to charge off of the hot power supply from the RV 7 light plug on the back of our truck. If you look at the plug on the truck the big, round prong right in the middle is "hot", it always has power for things like campers, etc. So all you need to do is wire the trailer end of the plug straight into the battery on the dump trailer.

4. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

the prong in the center is not hot all the time it is back up lights.

5. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

If you just wire it right in won't you have to worry about over charging the battery?

6. Fireman4949

Fireman4949 LawnSite Member

On my Duramax, there is a fuse that must be installed in the electrical panel to complete the trailer battery charging circuit (the 10ga. red wire) in the 7-pin trailer connector. Simply installing the fuse completes the circuit.

It is a 40amp "J" case fuse...It was taped to the trailer brake wiring harness that came from the factory.

I don't know if Ford has something similar or not. You may want to check your owner's manual.

Kevin :D