How to you measure the square footage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victo, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

I know this is kind of stupid quastion. How do you meaure the square footage of the property and how much to you charge based on the square foot. For now, I just go and look at the property and give them my price by just looking at the property. I have talked many LCO's in my area and got an idea how much they charge for my own property. Based on that I charge less more according to the size of the customers property. Do you guys charge more if there is fence and if you need to use a push mower? Need some ideas. Thanks.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

For mowing....if it's a normal residential, I will just eyeball and bid. You need to figure what you need for your time and estimate that for much time is it going to take you. For large commercials, I will measure...everything...including how much linear feet to edge and trim. For all other services (chem apps, aerating, overseeding...etc.) I measure since I have a pricing structure based on square footage. For actually doing the measuring, I use a digital measuring wheel....and love it!

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Most guys eyeball it after a while. If you wan to find the actual size you need a measuring wheel. There are also digital range finders, I think that is what one guy uses. Of course you need to charge more for fences and obstacles. The more trimming time the more it eats profits. As you do these jobs time them so you can get your costs down then you can add what level of profit your market will bear. This will shed light on how efficient you are. Costs are more important to you right now. This is how a lot of guys estimate they go off a $1 a minute formula which is OK but it is not ideal. It's a good rough gage to start with. Or you can break down the yard into rectangles and go length times width and measure those of and figure rough square footages. There is no real industry standard because each situation may call for a different approach. Is yard flat or got hills? Lots of boulders to mow around? Lots of string trimming? See how the square footage method can get a little out of hand? Costs you more in time. Thinking in terms of time and what it costs you to operate for an hour is what you need to figure out. My suggestion is go to elements of business or just starting forum and search hourly cost or start a thread on how to figure hourly cost since there are likely many others that want to know. Sorry my post was so long, you're probably :sleeping: by now.