1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CD landscaping, Apr 13, 2003.

1. CD landscaping

CD landscaping LawnSite Member

How would u guys suggest expanding i just started this season and would like to know i am still in school so i am not doing it full time but am thinking about it later thanks
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think I'd put my efforts into school and continue to do this part time. Expanding takes time and money and help........all of which are kinda hard to come by.
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Expand to what? Wait till you are out of school. Then you will have enough time to strategize what you will do next.
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Concentrate in school, get a good education, keep this in a part time bases and enjoy your younger days. You can still do what your doing with lawns, even expand a little to make extra $$$$.. Try not to interfere with your school work, very important to get that education,, Good Luck :)

Lou :cool:
  5. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

Quit school and start mowing. That's what I did, couldn't be happier. It's impossible to make any decent sort of cash if you have other priorities. I don't know why I didn't start earlier then I did.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Focus on your schooling and come up with a plan for expanding but don't put in action until you are done for the year. Education is far more important then gaining a few accounts. Once you are out of school go wild and get some new clients but make sure you can service them all well.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, and why cant you do both? I hear that all the time from my parents and frankly, it bothers me to no end. Ive told myself i want 80 man hrs per week mowing within the next 3 years. That way i can have a job to work when i graduate.

And what happens when someone invent an inexpensive, fully automated mower and you are out of a job. You will be worthless to every well paying employer. Its not going to be that far away. Id suggest you go back to school part time.
  8. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

school, make sure you graduate. if after that you are interested in creating a full time service that will compete, make sure you have you game face on. i watch new lawn services come and go every year, competion is strong and like some of us we have been at this for quite awhile. best advice would be create a business plan for the expansion, advertise appropriatly and don't get too big to fast. good luck.