How tough are exmark spindles in an accident?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Appalachian landscape, May 1, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I hit a piece of wood today and it stopped my mower dead. The freaking thing lodged its self between the blade and deck severely bending the blade. I came home and took the blade off, cursed the piece of wood, and replaced the blade. It seems to cut fine now but there seems to be a little more vibration than usual. Is it likely that i did more damage other than the blade? Anyone else bend a blade up and not damage the spindle?

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

This would be an example of a stupid thread that just takes up time of the members looking for something that has some real learning merit. There is not a mower made that has spindles and or blades that are not above being damaged or bent when lodging 4x4 pieces of wood between the blade and baffles. Why would you even post this thread?

3. Appalachian landscape

Thanks for your help. You sound like a real winner.

4. Appalachian landscape

Oops... I guess I spelled whiner wrong. Maybe I should have started a thread about scrubs or maybe it's time for a stihl vs redmax vs shin vs ...

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Am I missing something? What's with the nasty reply?

Appalachian, did you make sure the new blade is balanced? Also, the wood may have whacked the other blades, did you check them? As far as I am aware, with all the blades myself and my guys have destroyed over the years, spindles were never damaged. I am sure it can happen, just not to me (yet). Also, a sudden stop of the blades could possibly damage the drive belts, giving some vibration.

Last but not least, is there really more vibration, or are you just paranoid about damage now? (lol) :p

6. Appalachian landscape

I didn't balance the blade. It's brand new, is it possible it's out of balance from the factory? Could be paranoia.

7. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

flex deck must have gotten beat when he was a kid because now he is miserable

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, guess I was a little tough on the thread - yes, I have had new blades that had the center hole off center by up to 1/8 inch, and my goodness does that vibrate a mower. Yes, check all you blades, and put a new one on the spindle that hit the wood, then turn it under the deck. If both ends are the same when rotating by hand (pick a spot on the back baffle) then the spindle was not bent.

9. Appalachian landscape

Thanks alot. The holes on my new blades are alot bigger than the old ones. It might just be off center. Seems like If I bought exact replacement blades the holes would be the same, but I guess not.

10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

For what its worth I bent a spindle once and there was no mistaken more damage occured then what I thought was just a bent blade. When I put on the new blade on the cut and vibration was horrible. Tvov gave good advice, check the easy stuff first, more then likely you didnt bend a spindle. Another thing is wood has more give then say a metal stake sticking out of the ground like what I hit so hopefully your mower shut down before any serious damage.