How tough is it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stumpgrinder, Feb 28, 2007.

1. stumpgrinder

stumpgrinder LawnSite Member

First year in the grass cutting business and I'm only looking at to make $600.00 a day 3 days a week. I need to know if this is a possible goal.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

doing what, just cutting grass? lets just say that every lawn averages $30. you would need 20 customers. so that would be 60 customers to get your 3 day goal. unless you already have 59 customers waiting for spring to come. its not going to be easy to get that many accounts. theres about 500 other people thinking the same thing you are in your town right now. it takes time to get that many customers especially if this is your first year doing this. Im not saying it cannot be done, im just saying its not as easy as you think. before you worry about how many customers you have... do you have insurance? equipment? vehicle? trailer?

3. stumpgrinder

I have the truck, trailer, Insurance and all of the lawn mowing equipment. I've done the flyers, mailers,advertiseing. I have a few accounts. It's just hard to think about grass cutting when there'e 16" of snow on the ground.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

so you have everything you need but the customers? the only thing youd be able to do is advertise some more, Door hangers ive heard work best. and word of mouth is the best advertisement there is. Good Luck

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

$600 a day assuming you're solo is going to be impossible unless you charge $100 a yard. First year you won't make much if any. What type of equip? Is it commercial or are you like most new guys think the $800 craftsman is going to be there meal ticket. Personally If I can clear $250 after my expenses and taxes then its a great day. Advertise in high $$$ neighborhoods but chances are they already have a PROFESSIONAL LAWN CARE COMPANY.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of equipment do you? solo operator?

7. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Just starting out and being solo $600 sounds a bit high. Not sure about the lawns you will be doing but $300 to $400 for just mowing solo seems like a better ballpark.

8. stumpgrinder

I bought a 16 ft enclosed trailer, 723 Grass Hopper, 36" snapper pro hydro wb, sthil trimmer, 2005 GMC 2500 HD, will be looking for an edger. So, your telling me that $200.00 to $300.00 a day should be my goal for the first year. "Yes" it's a one man operation.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

$600/day as a solo? When you say "make" I'm going to assume you mean gross amount not net. I'm not going to say its impossible, but it's going to take lots of good paying accounts. It would probably take several seasons to line up that much of that type of work, and even then there probably going to be long days.

10. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Since when do goals need to fall into the realm of possibility?