How was this striped?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    How was this field striped? The ends of the NYC skyline are all very clear. When I strip, my turn around point is not striped and therefore "fuzzy". Also how did they do the lower 1/2 as one stripe and the upper 1/2 and the other strips?

Now we could all strip a lawn and make the lower 1/2 one color and the upper 1/2 the other by mowing each half in one direction but to get the buildings????

I also do not think this was done with a different type of grass as they change the "picture" to often. Hmmmmm!!!

[​IMG]

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

my guess would be you are seeing wet by the fence and drier near the infield.

3. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

it could also be paint....

4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Different grasses??

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I vote turf paint.

6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm guessing that they use a special made machine made just for deocrative striping. We could not do this with one of our mowers.

7. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I am sticking with turf paint.... :blob3:

8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

it is most likely paint, but i've seen ground crews make elaborate patterns by using a push broom, and sweeping the blades of grass in one direction or the other

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are all looking at this from your own point of view. And that point of view is you visit a lawn once a week (presumably) cut the lawn and don't touch it again until the next week. The groundskeepers for stadiums only work on that grass and in most cases that is 7 days a week. They have the time to back up a Simplex or Toro reel mower (with the reels and the rollers up) to get the colors all going in the direction they desire. They have the time to go out there with rakes and brooms and pull the turf to get a desired effect. It may only be grass but they are in a (big) league of their own. The stripes that we put down are but pitiful attempts to recreate what those guys spend lifetimes learning to do.

10. Khalua10

Khalua10 LawnSite Member

remsen is right they use a special roller to create these decorative patetrns