1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How was your day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, May 1, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since there seems to be a great deal of hostility around here lately, from brand preference to non-professionals, just thought I'd ask, How was YOUR day?

rained here... got a lot done yesterday. went out and spotted some severe weather for the national weather service here today (ham radio operator and trained storm spotter).

hopefully it'll dry out in the morning and stay that way.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, since I went to school today, I'll share about my last mow day. Showed up at the first job with the big Toro (44" rider) and was gonna mow the 1 3/4 acre lawn. I got started mowing and everything was going pretty well. I had all my blades sharp, deck was spotless, new main belt, everything was set. I thought that it was going to be a good day. WRONG. Well, turns out that the belt that powers my blower had worn out and was slipping and the tensioner on the main drive belt got loose so that belt wasn't running at full tilt. Okay, no problem dad says. We'll just adjust the blower belt because at this time that's all we thought the problem was. So we got it too tight. That was BAD. Fried it, hit the clutch and the belt started smoking. That pissed me off because I was only half done and my mower was out of commision. Luckily the homeowner has 2 garden tractors that I can use at my discretion. Not like I wanted to used either of them, but I didn't have a choice. So I picked the John Deere over the Crapsman (good choice, huh?!). Went out and did one pass tried to turn and the freaking tire comes right off the rim. Okay, now I get to fix that and mow with the Crapsman. What a great day. HA! So I get the Crapsman out and start mowing. The thing couldn't even cut the grass without leaving clumps (supposed to be a mulcher). So I had to tow the "Lawn Sweep" behind it. Boy, that was fun. I finally get done, in like 3 1/2 hours, which usually takes me like 2 with my mower. This job is totally fun (HA) because there is like 50 trees and whoever designed it was on something because the entire sprinkler system is above ground with 3 foot risers. Not easy to get close to even when you've trimmed, you still gotta go around them. Off to the next job. The next one I didn't need the big mower so I used the 21" and it went fine. Nothing EVER goes wrong with it. Got done there and then headed out to do some de-thatching. I didn't really know what I was getting into. I tried to suck up the thatch with a 21". That didn't work. So we ended up raking it into piles and putting it into the truck. I got everything done an made a fair amount of money. I guess we just need to vent sometimes but I'm better now. LOL. The best part is that I got paid. Let's hear it guys. I'm sure we can get a pretty good thread going.
  3. Went pretty good today except for a neighbor that had water running down the sidewalk of an overgrown edging I needed to take care of.

As for bad days - a guy south of me in Black Forest (near Colorado Springs) overheated his ztr mowing some dry overgrowth. He was trying to clear around his house to protect from forest fires-ended up burning his mower & 60+ acres. Showed the mower on the news-wish the paper had one I could post.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Must be a Tennessee thing this month. :D
  5. perfection lawn care

perfection lawn care LawnSite Member

Just got done printing out inviocies for april, and I had a good month, will be even better when the checks start rolling in.

If the rain in this god foresacking state would go away I might be able to get something done. Have 10 yards to do today so lets hope for the best, then will decide how my day went!!$$$$$
  6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Had to give away 8 lawns today. My helper who went to work on a charter boat for 2wks during rock fish season hasn't returned in 3wks. I got rid of some very long time customers . I had to make the tough decision on who to get rid of based on profit. I dropped the small push mower lawns first and then the complainers next. I have to get rid of 2 more to be able to cover all the pressure washing jobs I have booked. The good news is my travel time is down and my route is very compact. I had another lco try to give me some lawns last week when he called me to pressure wash his house. Business is JUMPIN'
  7. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I hate accusing people of being scrubs, but it just hit me after reading this thread that the difference between pro's and scrubs isn't being part-time or full-time its having the resources to be able to walk to the trailer and grab another mower, your mower, not your customers! I, am in fact, part-time at this business. Of course I do as much as some of the "full-time" guys on here do. I also have (2) 60" Lazers, (1) 52" toro walkbehind and have 2 Trucks in case one of them is down. That is how you run a business. Of course my costs of doing business are going to be higher, but I am also very reliable and don't miss cuts, don't have to double and triple cut, and don't have to whine because my piece of **** mower breaks down every 10 minutes. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND SO DO OUR CUSTOMERS. I am sorry for being aggrevated, but it irkes me when I hear about people using their customers mower to cut their grass. They should pay you 5 bucks an hour for that!
  8. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Finalized a deal for a new customer that will be $150 per week and an additional $100 biweekly on an area around his lake.

Felt good to lock up a substantial account. Will be cutting it for the first time Friday.
  9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Did you think this was a "COMMERCIAL" lawn care forum? Most of the posters on here are teenagers who include allowances from their parents as part of their gross revenue.

After a while you will reconize them by name and then just skip over their post.

I hope this helps.
  10. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Well, I guess they are doing something productive, that's a positive at least. They are just not fun to compete with when you are trying a legit. business i.e. taxes, insurance etc.