How was your year?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tiedeman, Dec 29, 2005.

?

How was your year compared to last?

1. Excellent

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Above Average

37 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Average

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Below Average

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So, how was your year compared to last year?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Compared to last year???... Not a good year.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I hate to say this, only because of the guys that may have been down this year, but shoot 2005 was our best year ever! I am still amazed when I look at the books and see what we did this year. We truly were blessed.

4. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about everyone else but i doubled what i did last year, this is also onl y my 3rd year professionally doing this. Before i was in school full time.

Our gross was about 38% mowing. 10% mulch 10% leaves etc...

But my expenses need to get under control, geeze

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The key for us being just a small business, is never to just rely on grass cutting. We came out plenty ahead this year, not due to grass cutting, but instead thanks to other landscaping jobs.

6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent year, my gross grew by about 30%. I did alot more landscaping this year as compared to last, which is where most of the growth came from. HAPPY NEW YEAR! :waving:

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a good year. Gross income was up over 50%. I credit that fact that I started plowing snow for such an increase.

8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

after my first miserable year, drought and no one wanting to hire someone late into the season, i did go to make what i did

Heres to praying that this comming year will be better

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

This being our first year in business we have no basis for comparison, we experienced severe drought, one of the worst in the last 100 years according to records.

Despite these things I can honestly say I was very pleased with our first year, loved the work, the freedom, most customers, and the ability to chart our own course. Last year at this time I believe I was into revision 2 or 3 on my business plan, not that it changed that dramatically (the core plan was the same) but fine tuning it. This year I'm sitting at home checking lawnsite out, preparing for next season, enjoying family, and will take a much needed vacation yet this winter.
    Our forecasted/estimated financial goals relating to sales and income were better than doubled. In light of this I have re-thought the portion of my business plan where I lay out specific goals for three and five years, to the point, I've more than doubled our originally long range financial forecast.

All in all a great learning year, great financial year, involving a great deal of hard work. I do not regret a doggone thing about doing this, had a great deal of faith and trust in the lord, my wife, and myself. Having the time of my life and looking forward to next season.

We to were truly blessed this year. :waving:

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I had a really great year. I cut my first big commercial account and bidded fairly well. The residents loved my work and I was able to get a 2-year deal worth about $28,500. I was able to lease a truck. I'm very blessed for all that I have got. Hopefully within a year or two I can look at buying a house.