How we door to door

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 1MajorTom, Oct 19, 2003.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

First off, we don't really like going door to door. It's such a tedious process, and heck, after a long winter, we're really pretty lazy. ;)
    But we will get off our butts long enough to target a few select neighborhoods each year.

We've tried the door hanger gig in the past, and that just plain stunk! Those door hangers never seemed to fit the door knobs, and they would just fall off. Fliers are a pain in the butt to us, so this is what we use.
    We use Post-It notes.
    I rarely see this form of advertising mentioned here. So simple. Stick them to the door. The adhesive on post-it notes doesn't leave any marks. Slap one on the door and go. Simple.
    I am attaching last year's post it note. Hopefully it will attach. I blacked out our phone number.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I like your tag line, "let your lawn, be your welcome mat to your home."

3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I like that idea! Where do you get them?

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi 1MajorTom,

Great Idea!

I did a quick search and found this site. Click image for link.

[​IMG]

5. 1MajorTom

This was the site we used. Good service, didn't run into any problems with them. Our order was shipped promptly.
    http://www.design-a-pad.com/

6. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Jodi I'm interested in knowing how was the response rate? On this type of advertisement

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the post Jodi......that is a great and economical idea.
    I definetly will consider this method next spring.

Thanks
    MATT

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My only problem with this is the fact that I would be pissed off if someone stuck an advertisement on my house.

As T.E. said, what kind of response have you had?

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Jodi, they look great.

My concern would be sticking. It would seem that wind, or excessive heat or cold could affect how well, or how long they stick. Any problems with that?

10. 1MajorTom

I'm not sure I understand. Would you be mad if someone put a doorhanger on your door? Stuffed a flier in your door? Are you against all forms of advertising left at your house?
    I can understand that there are people that don't want any advertising left at their homes. I guess that's the chance any of us takes when we go door to door leaving an advertisement.

Question on sticking power.
    Do this:
    Get a regular post it note and stick it to your own front door. It will stay there indefinitely. Thru wind, rain, cold, hot, doesn't matter. I stuck one to our front screen door which is glass. Purposely stuck it on the glass when it was cold out. It was on there till I took it down.

Anyway, I'm not looking for sticking power to last weeks or months. Hopefully the homeowner will use their front door within a couple of days to see the post-it note.

Response rate. I'd have to say initially it is about the same as a flier or doorhanger. But what I have found is people will hang on to this post-it note. They will stick it on their refrig or in the back of their phone book. How do I know this? Because we have gotten calls a year or two later from a neighborhood where we hadn't laid out any post-its that year. When I asked how they heard of us they will answer that they got a post-it note stuck to their door a couple of years ago. :)
    It's a convenient little advertisement for the homeowner to hold on to. We have gotten many compliments on this little form of advertising.