How well did your advertising go?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lux Lawn, Apr 12, 2005.

How did you do?

1. Better then I expected

9 vote(s)
  2. About Average

9 vote(s)
  3. Below what I hoped for

12 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Its still early but overall how do you think your advertising did so far this year?
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

we didn't put too many postcard flyers out this year, but have gotten a great response.
    we put out only about 250 at various store fronts, and sent out 20 handwritten ones in addition to passing out about 200 door hangers.
    total cost to us was a mere $50 for postcards, door hangers were left over from last year, and some sweat equity on my feet.

attn: small companies, it can be done, just get out there, and promote yourselves!!!

got over 20 calls for estimates, and from those got:
    2 weekly mowing customers for the year
    3 clean ups
    7 aerating jobs
    2 dethatching jobs
    1 multiple jobs (small patio, sod, topsoil, seeding)

we were also happy at the referal rates we got when we contacted the people for estimates. One single aerating stop turned into 7!!! just from letting the person know we'd appreciate referrals to their neighbors, and when we would be aerating!

what we learned from this year so far...

1) the work is out there, you just need to find what the people are looking for, and market to it
    2) have your current customers work FOR you, by spreading the word to neighbors and friends, and reward them accordingly
    3) image is key. many of the people who hired us said they got 12 or so flyers or other estimates, but they felt our image and professionalism was one of the reasons they went with us.
    4) also, when working we put out a sign on the yard we are at, and especially for aerating and dethatching (power raking actually) we get a lot of neighbors walk up for business

the numbers may seem small to larger companies, but being a small company, the amount of growth we were looking for, we got, and then some.

calls are continually coming in, and that means people are getting our name!hope all is going well for other companies as well
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am very pleased with my ad results this year. So far, I have signed up about 75 weekly, biweekly, or 1 time service customers. Mostly weekly.

My close rate is .00375 and the calls are still coming.
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to see things are going well for you buddy.Good luck,I hope you have a great season.
  5. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Our advertising had AMAZING results. We got a 2.5% response so far from flyers.