1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How well do standers stripe??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GRT, May 7, 2004.

1. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I've never even considered standers before, but they are really starting to interest me. They seem lighter, more stable, and more manuverable than your average ZTR rider, and provide better visibility. (those are just some advantages others claim, but I'm sure individuals opinions vary).

My question is, are you happy with the striping ability compared ZTR riders?? I don't want to sacrifice the quality of the cut, or the overall effect of the lawn. If you've got some pictures, I love to see them. I am considering Wright, Great Dane, and JD...I'm probably going with a 52" or 61" cut.

2. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

Hey I have used a Wright Stander, 52" for about two years and it has a tendency to stripe certain grasses more than others. Like Bermuda and Rye does well, but Centipede and mutt-grass it just cuts it down. You need to bag it somehow (we use Gobbler) and that will give a nicer finish.
    It is very quick and easy to use. Doesn't hop curbs like I'd like but that's not too bad.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree with Signature. I am building a striping kit for mine. Because sometimes when you get onto thin lawns you can get a good strip. But on thick lawns they do very well. I would go with a stander. I have two and love them. There is nothing that will stop a 52" 23 kawi, but a 52" 17 kawi will get bogged down a little. Which is why when i replace mine, i am getting 23hp kawi engines. Get a 19hp at a minumim. The 52" is the best deck on a stander. If you are looking at a 61" check out the wright sentar. I have one and you will love it.
  4. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

I will take some pictures of the stripes that my 52 makes later on today. I think that they look pretty good.
  5. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a picture of my lawn. I cut it a week ago, and you can still see the stripe. You can not see any of the other stripes, since i over seeded last week. The tractor screwed up all the stripes with the roller on the overseeder. Usally it has a double checker board pattern.