how well do the flyers and door hangers really do?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by goinggreen123, Aug 7, 2012.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

go to and find "direct mailing" you can also check out
  2. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

you guys pretty much charge the same.. i like the rubber band idea on yours though. might be giving you guys a try in the spring
  3. TheBetterDoorhanger

TheBetterDoorhanger Sponsor

Definitely keep us in mind.. If you have any questions or if you'd like pricing on anything else just let me know! I'd be glad to send some info out or even send out a free sample packet of our products!
  4. thomas.creation

thomas.creation LawnSite Member

I'm part time but I've handed out aprox 300 flyers each fall and spring and I've seen 3-4 new lawn customers each spring and 3-4 each winter for snow. Over time it has added up. Most stay on for full year service.
  5. ag2112

ag2112 LawnSite Member

I passed out approx 1000 flyers in the spring and got about 10 calls, 7 of which have been very good yearly accounts.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever gotten good customers that return the following season by passing out flyers now...I was thinking about spreading out another 1k. AND I was also wondering if anyone had any advice on which flers work best for them? I normally do a sheet rolled up with a rubber band - I can get them for .10 each- is it worth the money to order online with a full color sheet? And do people get better reponse if coupons are on there - like first cut free or anything?
  6. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 LawnSite Member

To the OP:

I just started my own business at the end of August. Despite what justanotherlawnguy claimed on page three, it can be done, although I'll admit its not ideal. I now have 11 weeklies. Here's my advice:

Forget the flyers. Only hand those out to neighbors of customers, saying something like: "We just serviced your neighbors lawn....if you're ever in need of the same great service.... etc.

I passed out some 500 flyers, offering free lawn service for the first week if they became a customer and got one call back. I mailed out about the same number of letters to very targeted audience and got one call back.

The most beneficial thing you can do is get a website. Once you have a website, get your business listed on EVERY possible business listing service you can imagine. Yahoo, Bing, Yelp, Yellowpages, Google, etc. All free.

Then find a the best method of advertising you can. For me it was a local website for the neighborhood I was targeting. I took a risk and paid for a premium listing under their business services page. This site has 3 million unique viewers a month and anytime someone looks for lawn services, my business is in the top three every time. I can't tell you how well this has worked. It cost me $135 a month, but its already paid for itself in new accounts and large cleanup jobs.

Get to know a realtor in your area if you can and have them refer you to new homeowners since they will be in the market for such services this late in the season. Offer your services FREE to the realtor for any listings he or she may have on the market in exchange for any referrals they make.

Adwords on Google is also like magic. Takes some research on SEO and other things, but it works.

Finally, if you insist on flyers, then try to target new neighborhoods where houses are still being built. Those places won't have the same established service that older neighborhoods will.

Also, tell your existing customers that if they refer you to someone who becomes a regular customer, you'll give them a week for free. I've gotten two accounts that way already.

Good Luck!
  7. Buck Hollow Lawn Care

Buck Hollow Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Wow, Texas is harsh!

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

I have also been referred by existing customers. i think good work helps the most in that area, but the free mowing might spark their brains to spark more...
  9. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

hey guys a question
    for the usps direct mailing- do i have to have my address on there? or can i just send my flyer for them to distribute through the mail to select zip codes?
  10. acculawnsystems

acculawnsystems LawnSite Member

I used to own a lawn care company. We did flyers for many years with some success. However, once we developed the AccuLawn System we did not have to anymore.