How well does a Trac Vac 470 Suck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello, anyone w/Trac Vac 470 for Walks tell me how well they suck debris off lawns...how much more will they pick up than a reg. catcher? I am speaking of matted down spring debris...leaves...twigs...keys...& other debris like acorns.

2. Lake'Lawn Care

Lake'Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hello!

I have a trac vac 470 unit mounted on my exmark viking hydro and it works great for leaf pickup. It also mulches the leaves up quite a bit which helps to reduce the amount of space they take up if bagging or trailering. However, the machine will not suck up acorns or matted leaves or twigs. I don't believe any trac vac is going to do this. You may want to look in to the toro trail type vacumns? Hope this helps, Corey@Lake's Lawn Care.

3. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Yes it helps! Will it suck up debris on hard surfaces like a dedicated vac unit? How long would it take to remove the unit to get through a narrow gate?

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Your better off with a Accelerator's bagger and meg-mos. Meg-mos are great at sucking (up) pine needles and other things. The 470's Claim to fame is with the 6hp Kohler and the 16"Impeller It will suck up WET GRASS all day long with out clogging because there is no 90 Degree bend. For going threw a narrow gate you would have to take off the blower and boot. The blower is easy until you go to put the 6" hose back on. The boot is easy but all of this is time consuming. In the pic is a 2000 TT with a 6hp trac-vac.
    John

trailer ready to go.jpg

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

In my opinion the unit just plain sucks! Ok, it does pick up stuff pretty well as was enumerated above, but I have had mine clog with some frequency doing leaves. If the leaves are wet you have to slow down, and it will eventually clog in my experience. The unit is a monster, at takes up to much space for me, makes the machine so wide like John said, and is a hinderence to vision. I would do as John said and get a side bagger, it would give you more flexibility and hold nearly as much. Those cans really don't hold a bunch of material, and can be a big pain to put on and take off. I will never again buy a unit like this again for a walkbehind.

I wish you well.
    Jay

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Fareway

I have 4 of them mounted on 52's and 61's. I love them. Only complaint I get is from guy's who are short and have a hard time seeing over them. The only other downfall I see is the dust that vents out of the top of the barrel. Other than that, I would never give them up...

7. ditto we had them on 52 inch scag hydro fixed decks...ours was excellent for leaves ..schredded maple leaves like paper.

And like you the only problem we had was looking over the barrel and it could get weighted down with all that debrie packed in the barrel and make it hard for my nephews to lift the deck up when they wanted to go over bad humps and bumps in the lawn without scalping the hump.

We would have four barrels for each walkbehind ...one fill up grab another ....we loved em.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Oh i forgot! You cant go under anything, I mean anything. As far as seeing you WILL HIT well heads and other things that you cannot see.

Good luck. In the pic i have with this set up 1 more bushel then the trac-vac. 9 total.

978-400.jpg

9. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

J.G., I have Accelerator's & run them w/double gators. If you kept the double gators & Added the Shredding of the Trac Vac & the increased suction it provides won't you be able to Pack Allot More leaves into the container & Pick Up Allot more matted and or Wet debris?

toro7.jpg

10. John Gamba

from ct

No!! And the more you pack in the heaver it gets:mad: Then you dump on the ground and lift a tarp twice:mad: Oh i have over 700 dollars left over using the accelerator then the trac-vac.