How well does it work with installations?

Discussion in 'CLIP Software' started by D Felix, Jan 27, 2005.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not very familiar with CLIP; I picked up a demo CD a week or so ago.

My boss is the one that deals with the invoicing and such (we do have Quickbooks, though I don't know which version), and I understand that the software works well for lawn maintenance. However, we do no mowing, and all of our lawn applications are subbed out.

I was wondering how well the scheduling aspect of the software works for not only landscape maintenance (usually 5-6 visits during the season), but also for landscape installations. Most of our installations take 1-2 days, though we will occasionally have some that take longer than that.

We are a small company, everybody does everything from maintenance to installs. We hope to change that this year and split off with two crews; one maintenance, one install. Scheduling has been and still is a concern, as we haven't found a good way to do it yet.

How well will CLIP work for our situation? What should we look at specifically on the demo CD?

Thanks.

Dan

2. dkmathias

dkmathias LawnSite Member

Dan,

Thanks for asking.

Yes, we can handle both the maintenance side of your business and your multi-day installations. Scheduling in CLIP is one of our strongest features.

Take a look at the Pro Version of CLIP with Projects in your Demo. You would use Projects to handle your installations.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 800-635-8485. We will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Regards,

David K. Mathias
    VP - Sales and Support
    CLIP Software

3. D Felix

Thanks for the fast reply!

We'll probably take a look at it in the near future.

Thanks again.

Dan

4. D Felix

If we want to make the CLIP program work with our Palms, do we have to buy any extra software, other than regular CLIP? Do we have to buy extra licenses, etc, for each device?

I've seen someone ask about customizing invoices, does CLIP have a similiar feature for setting up the program in the PDA's? We would probably want to have a form for maintenance, and a form for installs. While we probably won't be able to go completely paperless, anything we can do to reduce the amount of paper would be good.

If we went to CLIP for scheduling, and were able to track our maintenance work via PDA's, would we (at the end of the year) be able to compile all of that data easily onto one sheet to aid in estimating for the next year?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that the demo can answer.:) I haven't been able to look at it yet. Is the demo CD a full working demo?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dan

5. DaveTucker

DaveTucker LawnSite Member

Felix,
    There is a charge for the "eRouter", it varies depending on the number of units you purchase.

There is a lot of customization that can happen in CLIP, to be fair, we would have to have the details of what you want to customize, then we can tell you if it is possible.

Remember that there are close to 10,000 companies using CLIP so there already are a lot of options in CLIP, chances are, you already have what you need.

As far as Paperless is concerned, you can get closer to paperless and instantaneous updates with CLIPConnect or CLIPTrack (Cell phone and GPS respectively). These technologies are unique to CLIP and really help an office become paperless.

At the end of year (or any other time, for that matter) you can see the Job Costing report that will tell you exactly how much to re-bid a property to maximize your profit. This is one of the most valuable reports in CLIP.

Yes, the demo contains a working copy.

Hope this helps, have a great weekend.

BTW - when you receive your demo, there is a CD presentation on "How to make 30% profit in your Service Business". I believe that you will be very interested in this. It has revolutionized companies and taken them from running at break even to making great profits. Here's to your success!

Dave Tucker

6. Huddleston Grounds Inc.

Huddleston Grounds Inc. LawnSite Member

I also have recently received a demo version of clip and found it very difficult to understand. It didn't have a step by step method to set up an account to accually see how it operates. I have heard many good things about the software but found it a bit confussing. I also us Quickbooks and have so for 6 yrs. and it works great for billing and tracking P & L but it falls short when it comes to scheduling. Any comments.

Thank you

7. DaveTucker

DaveTucker LawnSite Member

Thanks for your post. If CLIP seemed a little overwhelming to you, you might want to call our tech support line and test us on how well we can help you through this.

CLIP is being used by close to 10,000 businesses like yours, because of this, it has a lot of options, setups and functions. At first this can seem a little daunting but the up side to it is that you will be using the same program that is being used by companies with 60 crews doing 10's of millions of dollars in business (meaning, you won't out-grow it.)

Also, we would love to hear from you because we learn from the person that is "fresh" to CLIP. We have never stopped improving CLIP and the best way to help those that are new to the program is to listen to them and what they expected to see and then tailor the program to that.

Sometimes the "simplest" is not the best. It sort of reminds me of the consumer lawn mower, it is simple to use, easy to understand; but we all know that the more complex mower, such as the Wright Stander or TORO Z is a much better mower. The consumer will be a little put off by the commercial mower at first but in the long run lit will be time and money well spent.

Our goal is to be powerful AND simple. It is difficult at times but we make sure that our customers do not have barriers to growth due to software.

Remember our tag line: "Your success is OUR business."

Thanks for writing,
    Dave Tucker

PS. Did you watch the "How to make 30% profit CD?" It is very compelling.