1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How well does the Exmark 30" bag wet grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by joed, Aug 11, 2014.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the topic of the Exmark 30" has been discussed on the site but I was wondering if I can get some feedback from owner/operators as to how well this unit bags wet, thick grass and leaves? I currently have a 21" Exmark and it bags extremely well but I was thinking of moving up to a larger unit but wanted to review some other user's experiences before deciding. Thank you very much in advance for all responses. They are greatly appreciated.

2. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Cant speak for the Exmark but can the Turfmaster. I dont bag but have tried it just to try it. On a scale of 1 to 10, its bags wet grass and leaves at a 5.

3. guybrushthreepwood

guybrushthreepwood LawnSite Member
    from WA

Not very well. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 3 or 4. Depending on just how wet it is. Heck, sometimes the damn thing can't even bag slightly tall, dry grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mowingnohio

mowingnohio LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Will not side discharge or mulch tall wet grass, let alone bag. Niche mower for flat weekly dry lawns only.

5. allagashpm

allagashpm LawnSite Senior Member

Anything wet it really struggles. Mulching is terrible you have to slow way down. Bagging is a joke like others have said. Clogs quite a bit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

I think it mulches wet grass ok, weekly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Googus

Googus LawnSite Member

Never tried bagging, but even with heavy dew it gets dumped up and doesn't discharge or mulch very well.

8. imowslc

imowslc LawnSite Member

I'm in need of a new 21, but I am debating getting the 30. My main mower is a new vantage 36, which I love.. I have some gates the 36 won't fit. Do I spend the extra money for a 30? Grrrr, decisions
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend the money on the 30"
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

asking this questions is to vague because it draws on the varied areas, capabilities, understanding and skill of the user/owners.

"Bagging wet grass sucks"

Umm it DOES on every mower.

Walker KINDA does ok with a 31hp unit with a 10.5 blower mower motor.
    but now you are comparing a 15,000 unit to one less than a tenth the price.

How HIGH is the grass?

on a weekly cut, you are only supposed to be taking off 1/3 of the total height of the grass.
    Often this is not the case.
    if you are taking off MORE than 1/3 of the grass…you are *supposed* to cut it MORE often than once a week.

you can't seriously expect a 6hp machine to tackle over grown grass.

Users comments as to what they don't like about the mower as simultaneously, It's too expensive, and It should do more things.
    You can't expect a soup spoon to be a lightsaber.