1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how well does the Toro 21" really mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Jul 1, 2003.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

How well does the Toro 21" really mulch? As good as a commercial wb? like an Exmark? I think not. Opinions please. My Personal Pace does not mulch that well (at least not like I expected). It leaves clippings on the sides, especially the left side. I usually have to go back over it again. I bought it at the beginning of this growing season, I bought it because they are supposed to mulch well. I didn't want to spend a grand on the Proline or Exmark Metro 21", just to find that I was not pleased with it. I have always used Honda or LB in the past.
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have used a Toro Commercial 21" quite a bit and am very impressed with their ability to mulch. Definitely does a better job than any other 21" I've seen. By the way, I am referring to the 2 stroke model, have never used one of the newer Kawasaki-powered units.
  3. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have both types of Toro 21" mowers. We have two model 22040 Prolines and a model 20483 Super Recycler. The Super Recyler has the older drive system which we prefer over the Personal Pace. So I am not sure if this is a valid benchmark since it not actually a Personal Pace but they seem close. The only advantage I can see between the two mowers is the durability aspect. Eventhough we bought the Proline for mulching, its forte has been durability with the 2 cycle engine and heavier setup. I have not seen a dramatic increase in mulching ability with the more expensive mower. However, we recycle mainly with these mowers unless we hit heavy spring or fall growth and have been happy with them.

As far as mulching as well as a larger mower, I can say not quite as well as our 52" Toro recycler. I do not have a larger Exmark to compare it to.

Hope this is of help
  4. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I run Toro proline 21's with the 2 cycle Suzuki and a 32" Exmark Viking with a mulch kit. I use a gator blade on the Toro's and the exmark mulching blades on the Exmark.

What I have found is that for normal growth, the Toro's do great. However at this time of year with the tremendous growth that is occurring due to much needed rain in the Houston area, I need to double cut if using the Toros where 1 pass with the exmark will usually suffice.

I will say this, however. I started last year part time using a high end homeowner snapper. I got the Toro's in June of last year. The Toro's mulch much better than the snapper ever did. I don't use the Toro's much anymore, just on a couple of backyards where there is tight landscaping and the Toro's are actually faster than the Exmark. I hope to add a 48" at the beginning of next season and use the Exmark for back yards. I will keep my Toros for the "special situations" where warrented.

from AL

You are double cutting because of the Gator. A [properly set-up Toro Proline 21" will mulch as well as a larger WB. Chamber size & blade choice are the biggest factors when comparing to a larger unit.

A Lawnboy with a slight RPM boost will mulch better.
  6. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Which Personal Pase model do you own? There will be a LARGE difference between the steel decks & the cast decks both in price & performance
  7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

So, what kind of blade should I be using then? Remember this is a 22" Personal Pace, not a 21"
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Which ever one that Home Cheapo carries. I think I got it on sale at $349. I figure I'll be replacing it by next season. i will get a commercial one next time, but still deciding what to get. I love the hydro on the personal pace and especially Honda. Just wish Honda's were faster in ground speed.
  9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

My older model toro 21" mulches like a champ.