1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How well does your Vac work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR Fect, Nov 4, 2004.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought a DFS Vac for our Toro Z Master. Never owned a Vac before. This thing set us back $ 2,100 with tax and labor to install. It does not pick up sticks, pine cones, plastic. I need to go over the lawn 3 times to get most of the leaf's. Our 21 toro with a bag on it does a better job! Do all Vacs do this well? The (DFS) Dump From Seat is nice, and because it does not have the big spindle mount blower, it fits on my 12X6 trailer with out taking it apart. Over all on a 1 to 10, I give it a 5. What do you have? and give it a 1 to 10, 10 means you love it.
  2. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

I love the Ultra Vac on my Exmark LHP. .We try to get as many sticks off the area before we mow. So usually what sticks are left get sucked up. And it usually gets pine cones up. Try some gator blades and make a pass over the leaves before you vac or bag. You will get them up in 1 pass versus 3 and you would have to dump as many times either. Happy clean ups...
  3. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

If you really want to suck everything up, put a set of meg-mo blades on it. I love my ultra vac. Picks up most pine cones (not the ones 1/2 in the ground.

good luck, littlenic
  4. I have an 03 toro w/ drs bagging sys(44/21), I put Gator blades and it really improved the lift
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You know I have the Walker PR and it pulls the hair of Chinamen it has so much suction. J/k
    I don't know what to tell you other than to try lowering the deck to get more suction potential. Honestly the Walker does a great job vacuuming but thats what it is made for.
  6. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have the twin cloth bagger. The Toro decks do not seem to work that well because of the depth of the deck. I have a toro WB (exmark deck) and it cleans much better. It's not the vac that is the problem.
  7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I have the UltraVac for the Lazer Z Hp 44" - 2 bagger. I love it. It picks up everything and the grass looks like a vacuumed carpet once i am done. It cost me $1600..

I was considering the 21" billy goat push vacuum, but it would take 10 times longer to do a yard. I am so glad i did not buy a Toro mower. :blob3:
  8. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure ED maybe I will need to try that Walker. I would think the Ultra Vac and the DFS Vac are the same. Must make a big difference in the Xmark deck over the Toro. I do have Toro Atomic blades on and vac at 2 and 1 :( /4 inches. I tried to put my Gators on and they hit! Not buy much, but they are just a red C hair taller than the Atomics. Next mower I will try the vac on it before I buy the rest of the machine.
  9. benabarlow

benabarlow LawnSite Member

Perfect! Even sucks up the dirt off the pavement if you lower it close enough. Save a lot of time.
  10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

The Hustler Z bac vac is great! I've been mowing in the rain and it gets all the leaves and grass. No clumps. Only gets stopped up if I let it get too full. But so easy to unstop. I wasn't how sure it would work in wet, soaked conditions but it has amazed me. Even on driveways. I've been meaning to get on here and brag about it. I'm still mowing at 3 1/2 inches too. Still using the factory blades.