How wet is to wet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by No Lawncares, Aug 27, 2004.

1. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Hey guys I want to thank many of you for all the useful knowledge I have picked up here. And I was wondering if you mow in the rain and when I say rain I mean light to moderate rain, not downpours?

2. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

we mow in rain all the time. you gotta remember that alot of guys on here, that are from oregon or washington, mow in rain almost everyday. its a pain but you gotta keep up

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

OK, this is a stretch but yes, we mow in the rain quite a bit but like he said, you gotta keep on schedule.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've always found an easy way to judge "wetness", is by looking at the pavement. If the pavements drying off, the grass is too. That being said, I factor in how the weeks looking. Supposed to rain for 3 or 4 days? Gotta do what ya gotta do. First rain in 5 weeks? Probably gonna stay home that day. There's no golden rule to this. Like mentioned above, if you work in a "wet" area, you'll work in it.

5. luckyduck

luckyduck LawnSite Member

how many people here are really from oregon?

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

we mow unless a 3pt turn tears up the lawn.. Then its useless and all we do is make a mess..

7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Jim Lewis from Lewis Landscape - he's a great contributor to this website.

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

4 that I know of and I'm just across the border so that makes 5. It appears that landscape maintenance is a far bigger industry in the east and SE.

9. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Thx guys, I was wondering because it seems every Thursday it has rained this summer. That is my biggest day of the week and I don't like working weekends, so most of the time I mow through it, unless thunder and lighting.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we try to avoid mowing in the rain and would rather work dawn to dusk that week to get caught up. We will do some commercial properties if we have no choice but residential we try to stay off of if raining because of the mess it makes not only in the lawn, but on the street, sidewalks and driveway