How wet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, May 1, 2006.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

How wet does it have to be before you decide not to mow?

I think as long as youre not rutting up the yard or tracking it up... then its ok to mow.

What do you guys think?
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's not currently raining.....out we go
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

There is no such thing as too wet. But I don't get out when it's in the act of raining anymore unless it can't be avoided for some reason.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To me, if the road is wet I don't work. Puddles? hmmm well I mean a puddle here or there whatever but if it's completely wet then I don't work. Reason I look at the road is because it can be hard to see it on turf.

In my case the main reason is if the drive-belt(s) for the Wb get wet it's all over, that stupid 300 pound machine will NOT move once the belts get wet so it doesn't have to be perfect dry and sunny but when it's soaking wet that just doesn't work. With a fixed deck the problem with ruts is far less than with a float because it's a much lighter machine, I can cut some wet stuff but the 2 drive belts...

If it HAS been raining and the sun comes out, I usually start the truck about the time the road is around halfway dry. Then by the time I get to the first yard it's still a bit of a pita but if the sun stays out the second one is easier and so on but you still have to be careful about tire spin lol

I MIGHT do mulch in the wet but the whole thing is I'm in no mood to catch a cold and I hate to say it but I work 7 days a week when it's nice outside so it comes the time RAIN is my only excuse to take time off lol so I gotta :sleeping: sometime
  5. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Good question. I have wondered what others feel about this as well. Personally, I have mowed in the rain, provided that it is not prolonged, heavy downpour-type rain. As showers come and go, I just wait them out usually if I can. To be completely honest, I have not mowed a yard only about a handful of times due to rain. And those times it was darn wet and only a dingleberry would mow in it. Its like you said, as long as you don't leave ruts and you can turn and not deface the turf, you're fine. Its just a common sense deal I guess because, I feel that your mower will tell you if its too wet, whether its sliding around, tearing up grass, clumping the cut grass, etc.
  6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I dont mow in the rain.

I dont mow if the ground is too soft.

I will however, mow a old hard-packed yard that has well-rooted turf right after a rain. Those yards just hold up well, dont rut, and will actually cut very nicely.
    If its fairly new, with sod - forget it.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites.... There is a solution for your belt slippage.... it's posted here on lawnsite somewhere.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Belt dressing. But anyway, we use the same rule of thumb. generally, if the pavement is wet, we quit. This is when it just makes too much of a mess. his is when you will see the clumping that can get ground down into the turf and have the consistency of spinach. It makes more of a mess than it's worth. If I gotta come back and clean it up, I'm just going to wait and do it right the first time.
  9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

It depends what the forecast ahead of me looks like. I do not like being behind. I'll cut in light showers all day long if I have to, and try to avoid the ones that will rut.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It depends. Cold or cool rain, no way. I'm finished as soon as I can get the mower on the trailer. Warm rain in July or August, I like that. I really try not to mow the residentials when its raining. I will mow them if it is wet but not soaked. The clay here is unforgiving if you screw up it costs much time and money to make it right otherwise you have permanent ruts. My small commercials will get mowed if it rains and there arent any vehicles around to spray with clippings but I don't have to do that too often.