How wide of an open trailer do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jay Ray, May 31, 2006.

1. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 48" belt wb and 60" clear space between the steel on my open trailer. Keeping this mower close to the center going up the gate to reload is no problem except if it is wet. But even then, 6" clearance per side is plenty.

I am considering a 54" hydro that will be close to 56" wide with the chute up. That only leaves 2" clearance on each side of the mower when reloading.

As you might guess, I would rather not buy a wider trailer to go with the bigger mower. I am thinking that a hydro will be much more precise to control, and not need near as much clearance as a belt drive. But I have no experience with hydro's and can't put a number on it.

I would like the opinions of lco's who have hdyro wb's as to the minumum width of an open trailer they would use for a 54" hydro. Thanks.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 6x12 for the simple reason it is the biggest single-axle trailer money can buy. In some states, a double-axle trailer's GVWR, when combined with the truck's GVWR exceeds 10,000 pounds which requires a Class-C Commercial Driver's License (more expenses, insurance too). No, it's not how much you have loaded, it's the Rating - If the rating is over 10k, well you might check with your state's licensing requirements and stuff to be sure, but...

A 6x12 gives you 72" from side to side, I plan on eventually getting a Z and never had a problem back in the days when I used to load two 52's on there, which is the largest mower I've owned but again, if I ever get the Z, it will be at least a 60" deck and I know with a 6x12, never a problem.

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it will fit. Something else to consider is the pitch of your gate. You can get some serious hanging with that large of a footprint.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, CutInEdge. My hitch is high on the truck, makes the back of the trailer a little low, and pitch going up the 4' gate is not steep. Guess I will get the mower, see if I can load it without banging things up, and if not, buy a 6' wide trailer.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I ran a 52" hydro wb last season. I had a 6.5x12 trailer. It did the job just fine!

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the 54" hydro. You will love the mower and as long as you have 2 inches on each side thats all you need.:waving: