how will round up affect new plants to be planted?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RLS2005, Jun 6, 2005.

1. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

I am going to be making a new bed for a customer. He wants 10 burning bushes planted and a new rock bed made. He wants to spray the area that will be made into the new bed with round up to kill the grass before we make the bed. My question is, will this affect the burning bushes that I will be planting? If not, is there a certain amount of time that I need to lapse before I plant. I will not be doing the spraying, I am not licensed. He wants to do it himself....should I stop him? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ron

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

round up is a contact herbicide. spray wait a day , plant.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually it is a systemic herbicide that is absorbed through foliage. It is not residual in the soil. Your lawn won't die in a day either.

You should also cut an edge in the lawn as Roundup translocates through the plant. As you may know, turf grass spreads by rhizomes, so if you spray over hear some lawn may die over there, if it is not cut off before hand.

Once the lawn dies and you remove it, there will be no after effect.

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

My understanding of the time frame for planting after using RoundUp is that as long as it has dried on the plants being nuked, it's ok to replant. That means ok for the plants being planted (no damage), but not as good for the full functionality of the RoundUp to kick in. I would agree that waiting a full day is probably better to allow more time for the active ingredients to translocate - but sometimes there just isn't time to wait that long. However, it seems to me that I often must hit soddy areas twice for a total kill. Any taller grasses 'protect' the shorter ones from a killing dose. We always check a week after spraying to be sure of a complete kill.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

not all grasses spread via rhizomes...
    but the ones that do yes, it will migrate past where you spread...

and it is safe to plant as soon as it dries...

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Actually, it's safe to wait 24 hours for shrubs and trees, no less than 48 hours for fruit trees, vegetables, etc. It's RAINPROOF as soon as it dries ( 30 mins.), not safe to plant. Although you could likely get away with it, but not recommended.

7. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses, I didnt want to plant the burning bushes in too soon and find out that the round up will kill it. Thanks again.

Ron