How Windy Is Too Windy For Leaves?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Darryl G, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was just wondering when you guys decide it's too windy to do leaf cleanups. I'm still sitting here at 10:00 am trying to decide whether it's even worth going out today. Blowing 15 to 20 mph and gusting to 35 here at the moment. Now if I had a large job where I was blowing to the woods in the direction of the wind or just doing intermin "debulking" I'd go for it. But to try to do a detailed final cleanup on small properties, my experience that it's just too frustrating. I will sometimes go for it anyway and run the leaves over a bit with the mower to give them less surface area and control them better.

Maybe I'm just burned out and looking for an excuse to not work today, lol.

Guess I'll go do a bank run and an Ivy trimming job instead.

2. we use the hat method.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

if its blowing the right direction you finish twice as fast!

4. Darryl G

Yes, for a "blow to woods job" with the wind going in the right direction it can really speed things up. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those on my list at the moment.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I finished yesterday. The wind is brutal here.

6. dtriv89

dtriv89 LawnSite Member

The wind's never blowing in the right direction when you're doing leaves, I swear it changes direction to spite us. I won't do leaves if its too windy, too much of a headache and it takes twice as long to do the job half as well

7. Darryl G

I've got a total of 7 properties left on my list. All but 1 are just touch-up/final mows. Maybe 2 days work. Maybe a few one timers after that. Then some small "spruce up" jobs after that....overgrown shrubs, low/overhanging limbs and such. Then I have to decide whether to mount my leaf loader and chase piles. Not my favorite thing to do.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

It is too windy today here also. I have the guys out marking driveways, and wrapping shrubs with deer netting. When they finish, they will stack my firewood. Not much money will be made today.

9. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

That is always a tough decision. We started a job yesterday and had pushed leaves to the curb, so we went back this morning to finish. I didn't want to suck up a wet pile after the rain coming Fri. We called it a day after that. I think the guys will appreciate a 2.5 day resbit. We have been working 7days a week for the last few. Still have about 60 left to do. Should be finished up the second week of Dec.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

pia, always. but we have been lucky so far and the wind has been cooperating instead of hindering.

if you cant effectively use a blower to move leaves to where or whatever you are using to suck them up then it is too windy.