how would u handle this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northwest lawn, Nov 8, 2005.

1. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

we mowed a residential lawn today......the front didnt need it but the back did i blew all the leaves into the street from the front yard customer calls wanting to know why i mowed "grass didnt need it" "why did you leave the leaves in the street why arent they in a pile" there are leaves in front of my garage............well when the wind blows what happens? he wants me to come look at it. how would some of you handle this?

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you leave a pile of leaves in the street to blow all over the place?

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the amount of leaves in the front. If it was quicker to bag I would do that and make a pile. But if the leaves were a foot deep, they get pushed. I did the same thing this morning. Normally I keep "cutting" 3 wks into Nov. removing leaves for the price of a cut. Now, on some lawns with MASSIVE leafage I push under trees, into streets, whatever to keep it reasonable for myself. No one complains.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

That was my question as well...

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

What did the customer want done with the leaves? Is there curbside collection in your area? Did you have an agreement with the customer on how to deal with the leaves? If there were just a few leaves on the lawn I would have mowed over them. If there were a lot of leaves on the lawn then I would have contacted them about what to do with them. This is about the end of the season in OH and it sounds like that lawn was about ready for a leaf clean up and a final cut, I think you should have called them beforehand and already agreed on what to do.

6. CHRIS MELROSE

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Call the guy up and apoligize, then confess that you are a complete slacker and go back and do the job like a professional!

7. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

yes there is leaf pickup by the city......if there wasnt i wouldnt of put them at the curb and there wasnt many leaves not enough to do a fall clean up "and a slacker" might i also add the guy is a muck muck foreiner who wants something for nothing? i did my job the leaves are at the curb for collection i cant help if if the wind blows and blows them back to his yard

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

perhaps then cover them with a tarp???

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

go see the man, explain that you cannot control the wind and that if he would like you to, you would be happy to hual them away, but it will require a dump fee and that is why you put them in the road, so the city could dump them during their clean up. also, point out that even if you hual them away, the fact remains that the city has yet to pick up all the leaves around the hood and that leaves will still migrate from other lawns.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

same crap, different state. some towns here have curbside pickup, the same crap happens to me. make a pile in the street, the wind blows em back on the lawn. not my problem. want to pay an obscene fortune for disposal? i didn't think so. if they blow back on the lawn, tough crap, not my problem