how would u prep a mossy area for hydroseed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RLSLandscaping, May 5, 2006.

1. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

hey guys...how would u fellas prep a mossy area for hydroseed?
    (I was gonna rip up all moss turn a couple inches of the existing soil in with some fresh loam & spray her down) what am I missing? thanks!!

2. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Moss is in the shady, acidic areas most of the time around here. We add sunlight, lime Then Hydroseed:waving: .

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You are missing what caused the moss in the first place. Shade, poor soil, poor drainage, all these can cause moss to grow. Just tilling up the soil wont keep the moss from coming back. If you just fix two of the problems, you can control the moss.

4. RLSLandscaping

people just refuse to answer the actual question...so annoying...I know what moss is, I know what causes it...IF I should Aerate then tell me...I can't cut trees down or move the House to give the area SUN! jeeeeeeeeez...once again...

HOW DO YOU PREP A MOSSY AREA FOR HYDROSEED?

5. RLSLandscaping

no help again...............

6. muddstopper

Not being a wise a$$, but if you know what moss is, and you know what causes it, then you should know how to fix it.

To answer your question about prep, the first step is to eliminate what is causeing the moss in the first place. If you cant remove the shade, and you cant improve drainage, then you aint going to get rid moss, all you can do is treat it chemically. For this Iron is the usuall recipe. Iron will kill the moss but it wont keep it from coming back. Continual applications of iron will eventually build the iron levels in the soil to where it is intolerable to the grass. Its a no win situation. Do a complete soil test and try to get the fertility requirements met first. This might include lime as well as npk, probably sulfur as well as manganese, copper, boron and iron. Magnesium (such as is found in dolomitic lime) should be used only if the magnesium saturation levels are below 10%-12%. Magnesium will attract and hold moisture making drainage problems worse. Try to incorporate all necessary amendments into the soil, at least 3inches in depth, preferably at least 6 inches. Adjust amendments based on depth of incorporation. 15% of soil test recommendations for every inch of incorporation. 15% for just braodcasting and 100% for tilling to a depth of 6 inches and a additional 15% for every inch tilled more than 7 inches in depth. You will find that deep tilling with proper nutrient applications will also improve drainage. You have now improved two of the causes of moss and the moss will lose it competive edge over the other plants and will soon disappear. Of course improper, or lack of, nutrient applications in the future can reverse the process and again create conditons that are favoritable to moss, which will re-establish and have to again be treated.

7. Planet Landscaping

At least show some respect when others try to help u out rookie.:hammerhead: OK learn the hard way.

8. RLSLandscaping

thanks MUD...I appreciate yer time...lets see if I can explain this to my customer :)

hey "planet" I do show respect to those who "HELP" me..thing is too many on here are like u and just go around sticking jabs at guys seeking help...my comments were directed at those guys...thanks for adding yer 2cents

9. muddstopper

Actually, you asked what you where missing and you recieved two appropriate answers. No need for a peeing or whinning contest

10. Planet Landscaping

Your right. I should have gone into more detail ,But I have limited time :dizzy: and type 20 words a minute :laugh: LOL. I will try harder to help in detail:usflag: .