1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How would you answer this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenerSideLC, Dec 16, 2005.

1. GreenerSideLC

GreenerSideLC LawnSite Member

I recently got my certification to apply pesticides in CT. Im talking to a customer who wants me to apply next year. they asked me:

"We currently use "Natural Lawn of America" and are under the impression that our 2-yr-old is "safe" when he plays on the lawn. What do you recommend concerning keeping the youngster off the lawn after you have applied your treatments? (Is your stuff dangerous, do we keep him off the grass for one day, two days, etc...). Thanks."

Im sure I ll be using similar chemicals but from what I remember its 48hr waiting period after most applications for kids and pets. Am I right or does it vary from application to application? how would you answer this customer?
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what the re-entry interval on the label says. Most products I use say after the product has deied or the dust has settled.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i would use the 'safe' as little as possible. most lables do allow re-entrry after the product has dried, however i always like to give a 48hr window (except for the dog doing his business), by this time the lawn has soaked it all up and the strong smell has gone. regardless of the lable ask yourself this: would you let your kids roll around in your lawn 2hr after a blanket treatment of weed control even though it's dry? not me!
  4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I did sales for NLA for a brief period (issue was commission and mileage). The pre-emergent and spot weed spray are really the only chemicals they used at the branch I worked for. Also, about 20% of customers received the 7-0-2 (corn gluten, organic pre-emergent), so I would be careful. Are you using organic ferts? Besides the pre-em, NLA ferts are organic.
    Do you want to go by label recs. or be safe? I would rec 24-48 hours for pre-emergent and weed control, especially when the customer shows strong concern when it comes to pets and young kids....
  5. josh mcguire

josh mcguire LawnSite Member
    from ma

I may be wrong but wasn't Natural Lawn thrown out of the PLACCA because they were not using natural and organic ferts and since when is Pre M a natural weed control?
  6. NattyLawn

You've never heard of corn gluten? Do a search...

I'm not here to defend NLA. I was trying to give some insight on their apps to GreenerSide.
  7. josh mcguire

josh mcguire LawnSite Member
    from ma

I did not say corn gluten I said pre-m but thanks for the lesson on natural and organic turf care
  8. NattyLawn

Corn gluten is organic pre-em in case you didn't know or I'm missing something from your post...I don't even think you know what you meant. Thanks for the attitude though!
  9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

I'd listen to Natty on this one, he knows his stuff.........and the client didnt beat around about their concerns:alien: :waving:
  10. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

good post,keep it going