How would you bid this job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blade-o-grass, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

Ok, I am really new to the bidding thing and I would like some ideas on a price of how you would bid this job,

The home owner is a friend of my brothers, and I don't want to over bid but I also don't want to work for free, if you know what I mean.

There is a total of 6669 sq.ft (front and back) which I already gave him a price of $25 just to mow....but my dilemma is the inital clean up. There are alot of leaves which will have to be cleaned out of the flower beds and the hedges will have to be trimmed. I estimated about 3 hrs. of work with me and my wife. I just kinda need some ball-park figures as to how you would bid the job based on the info that I have given.

Any advise would be muchly appreciated
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

How much you usually charge per man hour?
  3. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

figure out all of your cost for everything such as fuel costs as in what used on the job and used to get there a percantage of all the costs of equipment used due to the fact of wear and tear on the job(if they go down and you don't have them being paid for in some way it take alot more work to get them replaced) also you need to factor in a percantage of your cost of living and then you can add alittle for profit.

i know some here i have read in the past have mentioned rougly that $60 man/hour is the ideal rate but that can vary on your costs
  4. Blade-o-grass

Well this is my first bid...I just started in December and have been handing out flyers to get my name out, for $20 a lawn...which is cheep in this area but It is getting results....I have already 6 lawn but that is just mowing and nothing I suppose I would charge $20 per hour....

My initial thought would be $75 for a first time lean I guess I am looking for "confidence" that this is an ok price to give to a friend.
  5. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

If you can survive on $20 per hr and you estimate 3hrs x 2 people.....that's $120.00.
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

well there ya more thing .dont be afraid to lose a few from giving high bids so you can feel out what your region is wiling to pay .so that you dont end up being the lowballer and setting a low paygrade for your area .
  7. Blade-o-grass

Thanks for the info...I just got the contract for one year @ $125.00 a month to "Do what needs to be done".
    That wasn't so hard after all, since I won't need to start mowing untill march.
  8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do any cleanup for less than $50 per hour. But it also depends on what equipment your using. With the right equipment you can cut down the cleanup time dramatically.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

First of all I have a $35 minimum for mowing, and I personally would give him the option of raking the leaves out of the beds, and I would just mow them. At the end of 3 mowings, everthing will look quite fine. Otherwise, I expect my mowing machine to make $100 per hr. minimum. and if I have to rake the leaves etc, then mow, I base the total first time job at $100 per hr. It is amazing how little time it really takes to rake leaves into the yard, then double blade them into dust.
  10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I hardly ever give a true break. I just telll them I can not afford to go any lower than..... Unless they are a good friend or immediate family NO BREAKS!payup