How would you bid this ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1wezil, Jan 21, 2008.

1. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

could you give me your ideas on this ? i am bidding on a 60 acre commercial property that is distribution center. 3/4 of it has irrigation on it but that is a separate bid . all the trees and bush trimming needs to be done by a licensed professional so i will have to sub that out. so what i am bidding on is the mowing and trimming and mulching . that i have priced it at 1830.00 for 70yds of mulch and 1830.00 for removing the old and 1830.00 for new mulch they want the old mulch removed yearly ? the crew that has been doing the mowing in the past has taken them 2 days a week with 2 trucks and 8 people a total of 16 hrs . we have 2 60" z turns and one 52" z turn i will have 3 or 4 people working it, i don't think it should take 16hrs . it looks like it will need about 42 mowings per year .they want the bid broken down to clean up , mowing , mulching , trimming , pruning , but at the end it all gets added back together . i'am thinking at maybe 45.00 to 50.00 per acre for easy adding and then i would brake it up for them from my total . any help would be great ...THANKS !

2. 1wezil

from tn

hello !!!! did everybody fall asleep on this form ??????????????????????????????

3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

If you use the 40.00 per acre you will be to high on the bid. We currently do a school system that is a little smaller in size but more spread out for about 30-35.00 per acre.
    Everything else other than mowing is separate. Hope this helps at all.

BTW I found someone to sub it too and take 15% off the top, so I am very happy with what we make on it.

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait- 2 days with 8 workers does not equal 16 hrs

It is 128 total man hours- and you think you can do it with 3 machines quicker?:rolleyes:

We need some more info.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't a clue, it's not something I would bid on, this is way out there somewhere, likely belongs to them kind of companies who can just throw trucks and crews around for no other reason than they didn't need a group of guys standing around all day.

6. 1wezil

from tn

thanks for you reply! what i said was 2 days adds up to 16hr but what you said was right also i did not mean it to be man hours sorry. what is your opinion how many acres per hour can you mow with a 61" mower . this places is mostly grass to mow compare to a subdivision we mow that is 15 acres but that is a lot more detailed with sidewalks , lot of mulching, large beds , roads , stone areas , running creek , 3 ponds , i guess the answer i am looking for is acres per hr that a mower can mow i know that is a big ? but some kind of ball park ..........THANKS....

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have the equiptment to do this....

I would NOT do it with ZTR's....

8. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

9. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

This sounds like a job for an 8 foot or bigger finish mower behind a tractor with turf tires. It could be done with quite a few z's though I guess.

10. 1wezil

from tn

why are you saying you wouldn't use a z turn to do this job .. we have 2 -61" and 1 -52" . the 61" husqvarna mowers can mow about 4 acres per hr and with the straight mowing this is i don't think it would be bad at all . 3 mowers and 1 person start trimming we could mow in 1 day and finish trimming the next day.