How Would You Bid This....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by milsaps118, Feb 26, 2008.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a comm'l account that owns hotels and restaurants. They just finished building a hotel right next to another one they own, that we already do. The mowable turf areas are just small sections all thru out the property and only total about 3000sqft. It all would have to be done with a 36" or smaller. More time walking around from spot to spot than actual mowing time, I would est about 40min just to go around to mow, trim, blow.

Problem is...the GM wants a bid just for the mowing and nothing else, if I just bid the mowing it's only going to be about a 200/mo contract. Works out to be 50/cut but would consume 40min/cut. I'd be loosing money at that rate, after all my expenses and paying my helper.

I was thinking of up-selling him on tree/shrub pruning, fert, weed control etc..but he didn't sound to interested in all that. Typical GM trying to impress the big Suit and Ties back at corporate by saving them a few bucks.

I don't want to slit my own throat on this one, but would hate to walk away from it since we are already there every week.

Any suggestions????
  2. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

Most of the clients we service have no idea what goes into lawn care. They think it is just cut and go. Now there are some services that do that, but I doubt if you do.

I would tell him the truth. Just cutting his lawn and not blowing or edging will make the property look unkept. It is your reputation as a LCO to provide good service and a well maintained site. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Milt the Mower LLC